GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

eTrex Venture HC Questions

Started by bcramey, December 01, 2009, 10:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcramey

Sorry for the lame questions, but I can't get this figured out...

1. Is the "Demo Mode" supposed to simulate navigation? On my old eTrex, you could see the the route in motion. On the Venture HC, there is no movement and the compass page shows 0 mph.

2.) In map setup when I turn marine colors on... The areas that were blue (water) turn white. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.   

latindane

Quote from: bcramey on December 01, 2009, 10:12:48 AM
Sorry for the lame questions, but I can't get this figured out...

1. Is the "Demo Mode" supposed to simulate navigation? On my old eTrex, you could see the the route in motion. On the Venture HC, there is no movement and the compass page shows 0 mph.

2.) In map setup when I turn marine colors on... The areas that were blue (water) turn white. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.   

I can tell you for sure that it's supposed to be white in marine colors. About the demo mode, I don't know if I understand your question. My etrex prompts me for demo mode only if it hasn't acquired satellites, in which case there would be no way for the unit to calculate your heading (unless you've got the magnetic compass on) or your speed. I'm not sure if you can have both satellite reception and demo mode on... but then why would you want demo mode on?

Boyd

Not familiar with this model, but on the Garmin Nuvi (for example) you can choose a location on the map and the GPS will behave as though you are in that location. You can then test routes based on this, and it will even simulate "driving" them, with the pointer moving along the route. I assume that this is what bcramey wants to do.

Indrid Cold

The HC doesn't do turn-by-turn navigation so maybe that's the issue. What was your previous eTrex model?

bcramey

Thanks for the quick response....

Boyd.. Exactly! I have a Nuvi 260 and an original eTrex and both will simulate a route (show the arrow
moving along the route). The Venture HC has 3 options in GPS setup (On, Off and Demo Mode). I just assumed the function would be same as the other units I own.

bcramey

My other unit is the original (1st gen) yellow eTrex.

bcramey

When in "Off" mode and I start to navigate a route, It will prompt - "The GPS is turned off. Would you like to turn it back on to start navigation, or set the unit to Demo Mode to simulate navigation"

When I do set it to Demo Mode, the route is highlighted and thats it.

I really appreciate the comments and help.

bcramey

That could be it, but I would think it would still show the route point to point as the non-mapping eTrex
does.

Thanks for the help.

bcramey

Here's Garmin's response:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I'll be happy to help you with this.

I'm sorry, this is no longer a feature on any of the GPS units. 

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

With Best Regards,

bcramey

Just in case someone else has the problem with route simulation... It does work on the Venture HC regardless of Garmin's comment above.

1) Put the device in "Demo Mode"
2) Choose a route to navigate
3) Go to the compass screen and click the stick up to increase speed
4) Return to the map page and you will see the route in motion