GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

installing OSM routable maps in mapsource

Started by ras_oscar, November 26, 2009, 01:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ras_oscar

I have downloaded several regions of the US and installed into mapsourdce using the provided installer. All gop smoothly except there is only 1 entry, OSM routable and its the most recently installed. Is there a way to permit all regions to be viewable (as separate sets) in mapsource? I have been combining wiht Topo and writing to my GPSr mem card, but it would be nice not to have to keep "reinbstalling" the sets.

question 2: is there a way to combine all the .img files using MapSetTpplkit so all the sets appear as a single contiguous set? would I combine all the .img files as individual tiles or only combine the 62340000.img files from each set?

The most recent sets I installed installed as families, whereas the previous vversions installed as products. What is the difference?

Seldom

He's talking about OSM.  Last time I tried (months ago) I couldn't get cgpsmapper to cpreview mkgmap compiled maps.  

I had to do it this way for "products":
java.exe -Xmx512M -enableassertions -jar "c:\program files\mkgmap\mkgmap.jar" --max-jobs=12 --ignore-osm-bounds --tdbfile --product-id=53  07250733.img 07250732.img 07250734.img 07250735.img 07250736.img 07250737.img 07250738.img 07250740.img 07250739.img 73240073.img
pause

And this way for "families":
java.exe -Xmx512M -enableassertions -jar "c:\program files\mkgmap\mkgmap.jar" --max-jobs=12 --ignore-osm-bounds --family-id=3141 --overview-mapname=Hikes --tdbfile --family-name="Hikes" --series-name="Hikes" 07250735.img 07250736.img 07250737.img 07250738.img 07250740.img 07250739.img
pause

The compiler gets updated a lot, so maybe it works now.

Seldom

That's the site.  I'll have to try MapSetToolkit on them.

ras_oscar

Unfurtunately there's a limit on the number of tiles one can DL in a single request. Trying to assemble a routable map of the USA, it's approx 6 different download jobs. The button for "download an entire country" is "temporarailly disabled"

When I selected all the numbered tiles to create a new single image file I get "convet failed" no explanation, no error message.

Seldom

If you are trying to route on that map, make sure the areas you are traveling through are "Tiger Verified"  There are still a lot of errors in the Tiger data and you are relying on volunteers to find them.

If I remember your posts over at Groundspeak, you were having trouble getting MapSetToolkit to work with the OSM files.  Have you had any more luck with it?

ras_oscar

nope, same problem. found a work around to get the maps in my GPSr but it required me to continually reload the routable maps of different areas. essentially I can only see 1 download at a time. Tried Dlding mkgmap but couldn't figure out how to run java.

Seldom

Your running Windows?  I'm still using XP, but I expect any Java installers should run w/ either XP or Vista, or Windows 7.
Browsing w/ IE or Firefox?
You went to http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp and ran the install?
On my machine Java lives in:
%windir%\SYSTEM32\java.exe
but  I invoke it from the batch files I posted above in this thread.

ras_oscar

running win xp on an acer netbook. Not dual core, bit I assume java doesn't care. Never worked with Java before, so wasn't sure what questions to ask. I'll cut your code into a bat file and see what happens.

Seldom

I use Sendmap 2.0 to transfer mkgmap  compiled maps onto my GPSrs whenever I'm testing.  It will even transfer routing data and TYP files.

mkgmap gets rebuilt once or twice a week, so be sure to:
a) have a build you've tried and trust.
b) also try the latest build to see which bugs were fixed or introduced. 

mkgmap wiki's haven't been much help.  http://forum.openstreetmap.org/index.php is probably the place to look.

The following will get you a list of mkgmap switches and options.
java.exe -Xmx512M -jar "c:\program files\mkgmap\mkgmap.jar" --help=options > mkgmap_options.txt
pause

ras_oscar

i guess my best option is to dl the updated mkgmap periodically and see which one works. when it finally does work: can i use wildcards to list the img files or do i need to list each tile individually? Can I use mkgmap to join the individual 63240000.img files or do i need to go back to the original tile .img files?

Seldom

I hadn't thought about wildcards, but I just tried them out, and they worked.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm pretty sure you need to rebuild the 63240000.IMG abd TDB files from the original tile files.  The batch files I posted assume that the batch file and all the files to be combined are in the same folder.

ras_oscar

great. That means that once i get a build of mkgmap that works I can dump all the .img files in a single directory and add "updated" tiles as more info is added to openstreetmap, rebuild image file and mapsource won't know the difference.

Seldom

That's the beauty of it.  Just be sure to keep your "last good" 6324000.IMG and TDB some place so if your compile goes wrong, you won't have to re-install MapSource.  If one of those is bad, MapSource will say the installation is bad and to re-install.  Really all you have to do is replace the bad TDB or IMG.

This is the place to look for mkgmap.  I've tried r1404 and haven't had any problems yet except one specific to a complicated topo I'm working on in MP format.  I doubt it should give you any problems at all in making up your TDB and IMG files.

One other thing:
The xmx parameter in the batch file sets the amount of memory Java will have available.  (1280 is the maximum Java can use under 32 bit Windows.) The actual memory available will be affected by the amount of memory available after Windows is loaded.  If mkgmap quits early, or doesn't run, try making that number smaller until it runs.

ras_oscar

how do I determine which version of mkgmap I have?

Seldom

Run This:
java.exe -Xmx512M -jar "c:\program files\mkgmap\mkgmap.jar" --help=options > mkgmap_options.txt
pause

One of the options it will list is a version.

The version should also be listed as part of the name of the zip file you downloaded.