GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 76C - installed Topo, but now basemap is gone?

Started by pbansen, November 23, 2009, 02:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbansen

Hi -
I downloaded the California topo and installed a couple of sections to my 76C.  I could see every river and stream (and roads), but no contour lines.  If I go to the "Set Up Map" page on the 76C and unselect (uncheck the boxes) next to the topo maps that I have downloaded to the GPS, I have no basemap at all - just a blank map with my waypoints on it.

How can I go about restoring the basemap?  What do I need to do to be able to see contour lines while the topo maps are selected?

Thanks for your help!

Seldom

You'd probably get more answers if there was a Cx after the 76 instead of a C.  That's a pretty old unit.  How much memory does it have, and how much memory did the file you uploaded require?

pbansen

There is 115mb of memory.  It was only two sections (Portola and Truckee) and 1.63mb, so I don't think lack of memory on the GPS is the issue.

Thanks for making the distinction clear between the hydro/transpo point sets and the contour sets - it seems like you have to zoom in and out a bit to highlight the different areas covered by those and I only downloaded the hydro/transpo data sets.

Do not have the Garmin World map basemap - I believe it is (was?) the "America Autoroute" set, but I'm still not able to make it reappear.

So I should be able to swap back and forth between the Ibycus maps and the California Topo set and still have the Garmin basemap, right?  Routing doesn't seem to work without the Garmin map and I like that capability, so this is frustrating...

pbansen

Okay, I'm officially a dumbass.

On the "Setup Map" page, highlight the little "i in a circle" icon, which allows you to check or uncheck the various topo sheets that are loaded, then press the "Menu" button, which gives a dropdown menu that permits you to restore defaults, show all maps, show none, show the basemap. show California Topo, etc.

The basemap was there all along - I just didn't know that there was a dropdown menu that could be accessed from this particular page if you pushed menu.

Color me relieved.  And a dumbass...

maps4gps

pbansen

Quote from: maps4gps on November 25, 2009, 06:04:02 AM
:) That comes up quite often.

The weird thing is, on all of the other selections on that 'page' (if you want to call it that) the menu button gives a dropdown menu that only give the choices of restoring defaults.  When the little "i in a circle" icon is highlighted, the dropdown menu choices are numerous and include the right choice

I put the same question to Garmin and, had I followed their directions explicitly, would have solved the problem, but they guy who answered my question didn't say anything about the dropdown menu and I thought I was doing things exactly as they instructed.  In hindsight, I was not.  Which is why I'm a dumbass.

alpine

Quote from: pbansen on November 24, 2009, 08:55:42 PM
Okay, I'm officially a dumbass.

On the "Setup Map" page, highlight the little "i in a circle" icon, which allows you to check or uncheck the various topo sheets that are loaded, then press the "Menu" button, which gives a dropdown menu that permits you to restore defaults, show all maps, show none, show the basemap. show California Topo, etc.

The basemap was there all along - I just didn't know that there was a dropdown menu that could be accessed from this particular page if you pushed menu.

Color me relieved.  And a dumbass...

You're not a dumbass, It's just a learning curve. We all do that.