GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Upgrade fron Garmin 60CSx?

Started by Stormstaff, November 21, 2009, 02:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormstaff

So, what would be the next step if I wanted to upgrade from my current unit?

I use it for driving, geocaching, hunting and I'd like to start getting more hiking in. Not backpacking, just day hiking.

Thanks for your time!

Boyd

I'd suggest having a look at either the Garmin Oregon, Colorado or Dakota series on the basis that these are the only units which are compatible with Garmin's new "custom map" format. See this thread: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,589.0.html and also some of the maps I've been making: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/282/

REI has a sale through Nov 30 on the Oregon 300 for $250 - lowest price I've seen so far. The Colorado is older and has had some issues in the past, although they may have been resolved for now.

REI also has the Dakota 10 on sale for $250. None of these units have any maps pre-installed, but the Dakota at REI might be of interest because it includes Garmin's City Navigator Maps on DVD. THese will give you driving directions in the car, and they cost almost $100 by themselves, so this looks like a good deal also.

But many of us feel that driving with a handheld GPS leaves a lot to be desired because none of them provide voice prompts and their screens are not as large. You might look for a Black Friday sale on auto GPS'es, like the Nuvi 205. These have full City Navigator maps pre-installed, voice directions, and can be had for about $100 - which is about what you would pay just for the maps themselves on DVD.

Stormstaff

So, from good to best would be the Colorado, the Dakota then the Oregon?

If so, at which level would I be getting as good or better performance than what I have with my 60CSx?

I'd hate to get a new model and find out the performance isn't as good as my 60CSx, except for the fact it's a touch screen.

Sorry, I really enjoy "playing" with these magic direction boxes, I just don't know as much about them as I'd like to.

Boyd

I would say the Oregon is best and Colorado is the weakest. But I have only used the Oregon. The Colorado is like an Oregon without a touchscreen, and personally I dislike that "rock n roller" wheel. Touchscreen interface is a huge improvement, especially for "exploring" the map by dragging it around. The Oregon and Dakota also have faster processors.

I have a 60csx and Oregon 400t. Never use the 60csx at all anymore. I am not obsessed with accuracy - I don't do geocaching. If I'm just trying to find may way back to my car after a hike, I don't really care if I get an error of 10 or 20 feet. All of Garmin's handhelds are spec'ed at 10 meter accuracy.

The Oregon screen has 2.5x the number of pixels as the 60csx so the maps look great. The new custom maps feature changes everything IMO. Sooner or later you will want this and I don't think it will ever come to the 60csx.

I doubt that any of these new units are "better" in terms of accuracy than your 60csx, but they should be pretty comparable. The Oregon is definitely faster at zooming and scrolling the map due to the faster CPU though.

I think REI has some kind of satisfaction money-back guarantee, don't theY? Check it out, I'm not sure. If so, then you don't have a lot to lose if you buy from them.

Stormstaff

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on November 21, 2009, 06:26:07 AM
I think REI has some kind of satisfaction money-back guarantee, don't theY? Check it out, I'm not sure. If so, then you don't have a lot to lose if you buy from them.
They sure do, I've used it once over the years. They are my first choice for items they carry.

Stormstaff

After reading more on this site, it sounds like my best bang for the would be to get an Oregon 300 and add topos as I download them or buy the software.

Can the City Nav I already own be loaded on multiple units or is there some weird agreement of one unit per software license?

Seldom

Which City Nav? NT or not NT, that is the question...

Older non-NT City Navs could be locked to two units.  NT, however, can only be locked to one.

Stormstaff

When I open Mapsource, the CN map says NT 2008.  :-\

Seldom

Then you'll need to spring for another CN NT.

Stormstaff