GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Topos on MapSource

Started by trapperrick, November 25, 2009, 04:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapperrick

Thanks to everyone who helped me with getting MapSource on my computer. I was able to load a map from this fantastic site and it worked great. Also I was able to load the tracks from The nuvi 500 to mapsource. Now, I was wondering about a background? The tracks are basically on a blank sheet. How can I get a topographic background on it or is there something else that is needed?

Boyd

Are you using maps from this site? If so, most of them include an installer which will load them into Mapsource. Fter installing, in Mapsource go to View > Switch to Product and you will be able to choose either No Map or any of the maps which you have installed.

If the only option in that menu is No Map, then you have not properly installed the topo's. If you can choose a map in that menu but it still doesn't show on your screen, then it probably doesn't cover the area you want or else you have zoomed in so far that no map details are available.

trapperrick

O.K., This is what I did, I recorded the tracks from the nuvi 500 when I rode. I was able to load Mapsource on the computer then plugged the GPS in and transfered the tracks to MapSource. What was shown was the tracks on a white background. So, From what you are saying is I need to load a topographic map onto MapSource also? Let me know because I was looking all through te program and could not find anything that would put a topo on it. Thanks again Boyd!

Boyd

Yes, if you want maps to use in Mapsource then you need to install them. See, the method of obtaining mapsource which is described here is a bit of a "hack". There's nothing wrong with it, but Garmin makes the mapsource software specifically to work with their own maps, and it is included if you buy their maps on DVD. By installing Training Center first on your computer, you're (more or less) "tricking" Mapsource into believing you have a Garmin map.

Go to the homepage here and see if you can find any maps of your area. If so, follow the download instructions. Most of them include a installer program which is very user-friendly: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

trapperrick

Thank you so much Boyd! Again you so much help ( although this is probably easy for you) I originally loaded a 100k trail map but all it shows is the trails with no background. Then, after reading your reply, I loaded the PA plainmetric map and now I can load my tracks onto there.
   You guys are great with all the info! I'm sure I'll need your help again soon.

alpine

After you get all that working, the next step is planing a route. Again MapSource is not real user friendly, but when you save the route as a gdb (my MapSource will crash if you try to save as a gpx), but a route for your 500 has to be a gpx. But there is a program GPSBabel, that will change your gdb to a gpx.

Good luck and have fun.

trapperrick

Is this program to change a gpx to a gdb on mapsource?

Boyd

Mapsource can do this all by itself. Start the program and go to File > Open. To the right side of the file name box you will see a dropdown menu. Pull this down to say All Files (*.*). Now just browse to your .gpx file and Mapsource will open it.

You can save it as a .gdb file with File > Save As and make sure that it says Save as type: Garmin GPS Database Version 3 (*.gdb)

Boyd

Quote from: alpine on November 28, 2009, 09:05:56 AM(my MapSource will crash if you try to save as a gpx)

I have read that the workaround for this bug is to first OPEN a .gpx file (any file), then open the file you really want. Supposedly mapsource will not crash when saving a .gpx file if you do this. Haven't tried myself though.

trapperrick

Thanks agian Boyd, but there is nothing on on the file name when I click on the drop down menu. Now below that it says files of type: Garmin GPS database files (*gdb). When I hit the drop down I found the (*.*), I clicked on that and the display opened up a bunch of mapsource names along with the map I had downloaded. Now, do I click on the map that I downloaded or something else?

Boyd

Sorry trapper, I don't understand what you're trying to do. You asked if it was possible to "change a gpx to a gdb" and I gave you instructions for that. Naturally I assumed that you already had a .gpx file which you wanted to change to a .gdb file.

When you select the option for "all files', that means you will need to already know which one you want to open. Just because a file is listed doesn't mean that mapsource can open it... it is showing you "all files".

alpine

In my experince it is just easier to use GPSBabel.

It is here: http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html