GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

gpx files to my Nuvi255w

Started by OverlandXJ, November 14, 2009, 08:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OverlandXJ

Hi guys, new here. I'm a newb to GPS, trying to learn as i go. Also not very proficient with computers.

I downloaded Mapsource from here, and also the Utah Topo onto my laptop. Now i am attempting to download a gpx file from my Jeep clubs website. The Mapsource and Utah Topo downloads were a success, but while attempting to download the gpx file my computer doesnt recognize the program to open the file. What else do i need to add? I am running windowsXP.

I'm hoping to install all this to my NUVI255w so i can follow routes others have shared when i visit the area.

Thanks... John

Boyd

Start mapsource and go to File > Open. The dropdown menu to the right of the file name field usually defaults to "Garmin GPS Database Files". Is that what you see? If so, pull the menu down to the last choice, "All Files (*.*)". Then you should see any .gpx files which are in the current directory. This is usually the fix for what you describe.

As far as installing on your Nuvi 255w, the news is not so good. I don't know exactly what you have downloaded, but the only things in a .gpx file which can be installed on your model Nuvi will be waypoints ("favorites" in Nuvi-speak).

Your model does not support routes, so you cannot import them on the Nuvi (other models have this feature).

Your model is capable of displaying your track on the screen, and you can copy that track to your computer. BUT you CANNOT send a track TO the Nuvi and have it displayed on the screen. It can only display the track of where you have actually gone.

OverlandXJ

Boyd, thank you for the feedback.

I was under the impression i could load Mapsource and Topo to my Nuvi, then follow a route imported from a gpx file.. like i would any other road on the City Nav program.

I wouldnt need to track a route.. just follow an already existing one. I have read of others claiming they could do this.. on a non 500 model Nuvi.

If i in fact cannot do this i guess my best option now is to purchase a puck and use with the laptop now. Eventually i wanted to go to a notebook with Overland Navigater loaded once i save up the penny's.

Boyd

Quote from: OverlandXJ on November 15, 2009, 07:12:07 AM
I was under the impression i could load Mapsource and Topo to my Nuvi, then follow a route imported from a gpx file.. like i would any other road on the City Nav program.

Now you are really mixing apples and oranges.  :)  You can load topo maps onto your Nuvi - either from Garmin or from this site. But most topo maps do not support routing, you need City Navigator for that.

To use routes which others have made, you need a GPS which support that feature. Your Nuvi can calculate a route from your current position to a destination, and you can add stops along the way if desired (via's). But this isn't a "real" route because you cannot save or edit it on the GPS. Once you reach the destination, it is gone forever.

On a Nuvi which supports routes, you can create them on the GPS if you like and you can save them for future use and edit them as desired. You can also import/export them on your computer with Mapsource. To see which Nuvi's support routing, use the "compare" feature at Garmin's site. Here's an example:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compareProduct=30986&compareProduct=63932&compareProduct=13431&compareProduct=14933

Scroll down the the "routes" item on the left. In this example you will see that the Nuvi 255w and 1200 do NOT support routes (indicated by "0" ) annd the Nuvi 755t and 1450 DO support routes (indicated by "10").

Also note the row titled "Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route)". You will see again that the 1450 and 755t support this while the 1200 and 255w don't.

OverlandXJ

Thank You, appreciate you taking the time with a newb.  ;D

I was mistakenly under the impression that all the Nuvi's shared the same design (other than the City Nav differences, bluechip etc) with the exception of the 500. Where they would all be the same with the addition of Mapsource and Topo.

I now see the models you mention allowing the routes being the difference.

campNride

Since this is the same model I have I have another question for you smart people. I downloaded the topo maps for basically the western half of the US to my computer and then to a 4g SD card that was incerted that into my gps. On the computer the maps show everything but when it comes to the gps it does show alot more of the back roads which is the main thing I was wanting but it doesn't show the topo lines.  As the map is loading when it is zoomed in you can see the lines briefly and then the disappear. I figure another map is overlaying it or something. Is there a way on this model to override which map takes precidence???

Thanks for all the hard work you all have put into these maps. This is a great site!!!!!

Indrid Cold

Quote from: campNride on December 06, 2009, 08:00:06 AM
As the map is loading when it is zoomed in you can see the lines briefly and then the disappear. I figure another map is overlaying it or something. Is there a way on this model to override which map takes precidence???
It sounds like the preinstalled City Navigator maps are covering the TOPOs, you will need to disable the CN mapset in the GPS map setup menu.

campNride

Thanks I will take a look at it here shortly when momma gets home.