GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mapset Tool Kit

Started by Jimbob, November 11, 2009, 10:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob

What the devil goes in the box in mapset toolkit labeled as TYP files. What is it? Where do you get It. Not much info in the tutorial ref. this.
thanks but I'm sitting stuck at this point.

maps4gps

That is for a custom .typ file - for defining your own point, line and area types/symbols.
Unless you created one, leave the box blank.

Jimbob

thanks for the speedy reply. I have tried leaving it blank but when I hit compile a message comes up to fill it in. this is my first try at an img file and started with a daily log file and have followed all steps in tutorials. I THINK, at least I have got this far.
Thanks

Jimbob

Started from scratch with my gpx file, ran everything again and have reached the same point in mapset toolkit where I get the same message, enter TYP

maps4gps

Have you coded any of your features with a 'custom' code? 
Try doing it with a daily log file.

Jimbob

I'm using a very simple daily log file. Have not selected any custom points or any features. I do notice that when I bring up cgpsmapper (which I cannot change since I cannot acess the command line) the top line says"custom type difinition : yes. I'm wondering if this is causing a problem. However that is the way it downloads into the front loader which would seem to be map edit.
Still stuck, but hoping!!!!

maps4gps

I would expect custom type definition should be 'no' as you are not using one.
I do not know where you need to change this.

Seldom

My limited understanding of Mapsettoolkit is that it's primarily a TDB maker.  I didn't see any reference to IMG files in the thread above, and as far as I know, cgpsmapper needs to compile its TDB from IMG files. 

Jimbob, do you have an IMG to work from?

Jimbob

Thanks for the responses all. Yes I was referring to box 18, each time I hit compile a message comes up to enter a TYP file and will prevent me from going any farther.
I'm starting with GPX files (actually only one for this test) then going to MP files in map edit and then exporting from map edit in IMG. cGPSmapsetter comes up and seems to function as it should as it tells me all went well and the IMG file is complete. I then open Map Set toolkit, select the IMG file, fill out all the rest of the  blocks and hit compile. Thats where the world ends, TYP message comes up and I go no farther.
Still hoping. I have been back over the same ground several times with the tutorials and all ends in the same place.
Thanks for sure
PS I did use map upload to send the file to my GPS and it shows up there fine.

Seldom

What type do you define your tracklog as, trail, road,...? And what versions of CGPSmapper do you have installed?

maps4gps

If I am reading that correctly: You have a .gpx file /  use mapedit to produce both a .mp and a .img file / then problems with MapSetToolKit with the .img file.

Are you using the .mp file for something?

Sounds like a small amount of data; could you attach the files (.gpx, .mp, and .img)?

Jimbob

have tried unpaved road, trail, and others cGPSmapper version 0099B date Nov. 6, 2009 Log file is very small, but have tried larger ones. Though sure I read someplace that a mp file should be created first, then export ot img, so that is what I have tried. Only gernerate the mp file because that was what I thought should be done. Your other assumptions are correct.
After cgps mapper runs it shows all ok.

astewart

Quote from: Jimbob on November 12, 2009, 12:33:41 PM
Thanks for the responses all. Yes I was referring to box 18, each time I hit compile a message comes up to enter a TYP file and will prevent me from going any farther.
Still hoping. I have been back over the same ground several times with the tutorials and all ends in the same place.

As I read the tutorial and as I have used it, you shouldn't be clicking the "Compile" button at all if you aren't using a custom TYP file. Step 18 doesn't say click "Custom". Continue to step #19. You end up clicking "START" at step #22 and everything happens then.

Alan

maps4gps

Alan is correct.

The compile button is for compiling a custom type file in text format to binary format.

Your .img file worked fine for me; as did using cgpsmapper for .mp to .img then MapSetToolKit.
BTW your .img has different tracks than the .mp and .gpx files.

Jimbob

OK, I'll give it a try. I'm almost sure I read somewhere to do things the way I did. There are also a multitude of instructions out there that are old (software has changed) and obsolete plus several that were just plain contraditory. Much thanks to you all. It would certainly seem I misread things.
Again, thanks for all the help. I do have one remaining question, when selecting transparent, there seems to be two possible categories, what do you feel is best? Or am I misunderstanding that also?
Again thanks!!!! :) :) :D