GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MapSource track export to .gpx error

Started by azleader, November 06, 2009, 08:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azleader

This is probably the beginning of a whole series of newbie GPS questions. My apologies in advance to the group for my ignorance.

Today's first question is:

Why can't I save a track from MapSource as a .gpx file when I can save it in Garmin's native .gdb format just fine?

Is this a known problem with a fix I need to apply?

When I try saving the file in .gpx then MapSource simply unceremoniously quits and displays this message -
"MapSource has stopped working"

The application does create an empty .gpx file before it croaks. Of course all work to that point is lost.

I can convert the .gdb that I can create for use in Google Earth and such but I'd prefer to avoid that unnecessary additional conversion step if possible.

Configuration:
eTrex Vista HCx unit, MapSource 6.15.7 (I believe that is current), Windows Vista 64-bit operating system.

Procedure:
1-Upload tracks from GPS unit into MapSource using USB cable connection with "receive from device..." under the transfer menu
2-Select named track in tracks tab
3-Select "Save as..." under File menu
4-Name file and select .gpx from the pop-up file type list in the save dialog box
6-Click "save"

That is where it dies. :)

alpine

Welcome to the club.

I use GPSBabel.GUI

As to why it will not do such a simple and much need thing, I don't have a clue.

maps4gps

Did your 5 steps and it worked OK for me.  
Only difference I can see, is I am on an older version of MapSoruce

azleader

I would not be surprised if the Vista 64-bit operating system might be related to the problem.

alpine

Nope.
I using XP and MapScourse crashes every time I try to save a .gdb as a gpx.

Every time.

azleader

I don't use this procedure as I log directly to the microSD datacard, but I just tried this with a Vista HCx, MSv6.15.7 under XP pro and it worked perfectly. You two might have some conflicting software causing the problem.
I won't worry and live with it.

Since some folks have the problem and others don't I'll go with it being a MapSource bug related to Vista 64-bit and possibly other OSs. It is not a particularly well done application to begin with so I kinda expect it to be a little rough edged.

edit:fixed quote