GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Google Earth path to Garmin route or track?

Started by tjl5709, November 04, 2009, 12:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjl5709

Learning how to get things into my Garmin using GE. Waypoints are easy. I want to use my 60CSX to track the progress of floats down some favorite stretches of river that we float while fly fishing. I created a path in GE of one of the sections I float. Basically put-in to take-out.

I have been able to get it into my 60CSX. I'm trying to figure out if I should load it as a track or route. I'm still alittle fuzzy on what I should be using btw the two, and the key differences btw them.

What I would like, and not sure if it's possible, is to track our progress down the river, how fast we are going and distance down the river we need to travel to get to the take-out based on the path I created. Am I asking to much?

I'm using the Michigan TOPO map from here on the 60CSX.

Seldom

Routes are vector paths that the map and 60CSX determine can be traveled.  They are found on routable maps like Garmin's CityNavNT.   I doubt your Michigan topo is routable, and rivers don't normally qualify for route status on any map (except maybe something marine).  However, you can upload the track you create in GE and use the "trackback" feature of the 60CSX to track your progress as you float. 

I don't know if it will calculate a time to destination, but maybe another reader has tried this.

-Oz-

I am pretty sure it didn't calculate time back to destination (60csx).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

Quote from: -Oz- on November 08, 2009, 01:54:57 AM
I am pretty sure it didn't calculate time back to destination (60csx).
My Vista HCx will on a trackback from a GE path display Time to Dest, Dist to Dest, ETA At Dest, etc... works quite well and should be about the same on a GPSMAP 60CSx. This works for me on the water, land or in the air.

Seldom

My 60CSX showed a distance to destination using trackback this afternoon.  Didn't check the other fields.