GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Showing bearing on a 60CSx

Started by Jimbob, October 30, 2009, 12:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob

I to would like to do the same thing but have not been able to figure out how yet. It would work good with a compass.

Jimbob

It certainly would be more accurate than guessing at the numbers on the dial. Try this for something different-menu-select bearing pointer- gives you a little different compass but I can't really see any benefit. I like to use my GPS in combination with a regular compass so for that reason the 3 number bearing would be a benefit.
good luck

Jimbob

Agree, but have the answer to your initial question if I understood it correctly. Actually I have had good luck and accuracy with my elect. compass. anyway on the compass- select menu-change data fields-select the field you wish to change-then select To course. You now have a bearing to your destination.
Good luck

Jimbob

Already had degrees selected, but initially did not pick up the three didgits. Either way I had it and it's what I was trying to get.
Good day :)

margo

The compass on my vista is pretty accurate, it matches my silva exactly. It switches to satilite compass when you are moving, and for some reason it's not as accurate. It changes bearing. When I am moving slow it switches to electronic compass and you can actually see it line up.

Seldom

Quote from: margo on October 31, 2009, 06:47:49 AM
The compass on my vista is pretty accurate, it matches my silva exactly. It switches to satilite compass when you are moving, and for some reason it's not as accurate. It changes bearing. When I am moving slow it switches to electronic compass and you can actually see it line up.
It sounds like when Margo slows down her compass is switching from True Geographic North to Magnetic North.

margo

I like the setting it's on now. I have it set to "magnetic north" and it switches to electronic compass when I'm under 10 MPH, which is the only time I need it.

I have found that the electronic compass matches my magnetic compass very well, and when it switches to satalite compass (or whatever you call it) there is a consistant shift. I don't know why this would be but it's consistant.

You have to make sure the gps is level when you are using the electronic compass. I have a ball compass on the gps lanyard just so I know if it's real out of whack. The only thing I have noticed is the compass has "locked up" a couple of times. Coming to a stop fixes it. I actually don't have to calibrate it much I have noticed. It's important to hold it properly though.

I was playing with my gpsr yestday and verfied that it actually knows what direction I am facing when standing still. It matched my handheld magnetic compass, can't ask for better than that.