GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MTK vs SiRFStar

Started by leapfrogtbdp, October 28, 2009, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leapfrogtbdp

Know this issue has been discussed quite a bit on other sites but would appreciate input from you all.
I thought the MTK "drift" issue had been fixed (receiver inaccurate at walking speed) Attached is route using 60CSx (SiRFStar) and my new Colorado 300(MTK). 60 CSx is light blue and correct while red is the colorado. Tracking is just horrible and at one points has me in the lake and at another in someone's yard. Minimum cloud cover and canopy on this day. Average Pace 4 mph.  Is this similar to other's experience and if so the Colorado seems pretty poor for mapping etc? Software and firmware all updated.
Thanks

Seldom

This is paranoid and picky, but you don't say, so please confirm.
1) Tracks were made simultaneously (same satellite configuration).
2) Units had equally good views of the satellites (one wasn't under a pan in a backpack while the other was in your hat.)

Generally Colorado's are fairly well received in the Groundspeak tech forum.  Folks don't like the rock-n-roller, but otherwise seem ok with it.

leapfrogtbdp

Yes. one was attached to the right shoulder strap of my hydration pack and other to the left shoulder strap. I will repeat next week and post results, if different. Maybe just a bad day.

Boyd

Personally that kind of error wouldn't upset me too much, but I don't do geocaching. I have a 60csx with the SiRFStar chip, and it's a good unit but I just don't place it on a pedestal the way some people do. I have used it extensively to map trails I built on my land, and everytime I walk those same trails I get substantial variance in the tracks. Try walking that same route several times with the 60csx and see how well the tracks line up.

FWIW, Garmin is no longer using SiRF chips in the 60csx, it is now MTK as well: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=14007

maps4gps

Make sure you tracks were being recorded the same way.

Tracks / setup / record methodv /   - for comparison do not use auto; pick distance or time and set both units to the same value.