Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forums Search:  

Author Topic: 2 PostGreSQL Questions  (Read 2226 times)

Seldom

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
2 PostGreSQL Questions
« on: October 28, 2009, 09:20:09 AM »
1) I see an extended tutorial using PostGreSQL to add MP_Types to NHD shapefiles.  Are there other applications for PostGreSql, because I can assign a lot of types (except those in question number 2 below) just using a GM script?

2) In the waterbody portion of that tutorial I see the script assigning multiple MP_Types to a particular fcode based on the area of the waterbody.  When I look at the cgpsmapper manual I see the types, but the description is the same (lake/pond?) for each type.   Will differentiating by area affect anything I can read on the map now (or in the future)?

Thanks,

Indrid Cold

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: 2 PostGreSQL Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 05:35:06 PM »
1. PostGIS & PostgreSQL are for users that don't have GlobalMapper.
2. There are dupes in the types and it shouldn't make much difference either way which code is assigned.

Seldom

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:47:10 PM »
Thanks for the answer.  Makes my learning curve a little less steep.

I sent you guys an email on a related subject that's more appropriate to handle off line.  I'd appreciate if you could take a look at it.

-Oz-

• Map Maker!
  • Administrator
  • Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
    • GPSFileDepot
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 02:37:16 AM »
Got your email and replied; thanks.

You can actually do clipping and things like that with PostGIS and postgreSQL.  I made a few scripts that take state borders and clip all the data to them so that I don't have overlap.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!