GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mapsource problem

Started by leapfrogtbdp, October 27, 2009, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leapfrogtbdp

New to this site and just downloaded NE USA Topo part 1 with installer. When I went to install, I change directory to a cd drive (this is how I use my Garmin Map source). everything seemed fine, all the img files copied to the cd but error message when attempted to open map source. Said I had to reinstall. So I uninstalled and don't know how to find the installer to attempt reinstall. All image files appear there as does the TDB as well as NE USA Topo Part 1 .img. Is there any way to salvage this w/o starting over and spending 8 hours waiting for this to download again? Plus any suggestions on how to avoid this (assume the answer is to install on the directory that the installer suggests)? BTW, Map source is functioning fine now with the Garmin map source cd but NE USA Topo Part  1 does not appear in the drop down menu. I have Map source 6.15.6 and and Trip and waypoint manager v4
:-[
thanks

Seldom

I assume he has MapSource installed on a hard drive (or he has two CD drives) so he can run MapSource and access the data simultaneously.  If that's the case, and he has the "???.tdb" and corresponding "???.img" on his CD. then shouldn't he just have to edit his registry to indicate the correct drive letter and directory.  This was pretty straightforward in XP.

Looks like he could fix his registry using Mapsettoolkit? (I never have used it.)  Link below:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps---part-9---compiling-data/

Or he could figure out the correct registry entries by reading the NSIS installer instructions and script.  (Same link as above, further down the page.)

maps4gps

Your appear to still have two other options before doing a redownload.
With MapSetTookKit you can install using the .img data files, .tdb and overview .img file.
With MSTK you can create the .tdb and overview .img files from the data .img files.
See: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/

leapfrogtbdp

Thanks all!
I decided to do a new download and install to the location the installer recommended. it now seems to work fine. Just seemed easy than messin' with the other stuff
The reason I wanted to place on a cd is because that is how I use the original Mapsource with the 3cds(TOPO, 1:100,000 and Not TOPO 2008). I open Map source and it prompts me to enter the apprpriate CD (East, West, AK/HI). Been doing it that way for years, probably back to when storage space was more of an issue.

maps4gps

With downloads being so slooooow the past few days, we offered some methods which would not involve redownloading the data.

Glad the download was fast enough to work for you.

GPSMap 60CSx

I've searched this forum and wasn't able to find anything pertaining to my problem. I have Mapsource installed on my computer, I downloaded the Topo maps for Florida and there's nothing in that folder for Mapsource to download, the folder is empty. I'm using a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. I'm also downloading IbycusUSA.exe right now. I hope that goes better. Thank you for any help you can give me about the Topo maps.   

Indrid Cold

Quote from: GPSMap 60CSx on November 01, 2009, 09:21:22 AM
I've searched this forum and wasn't able to find anything pertaining to my problem. I have Mapsource installed on my computer, I downloaded the Topo maps for Florida and there's nothing in that folder for Mapsource to download, the folder is empty. I'm using a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. I'm also downloading IbycusUSA.exe right now. I hope that goes better. Thank you for any help you can give me about the Topo maps.   
?? the FL TOPO download is an .exe file, you download it and then doubleclick the file to install it into MapSource. Then open MapSource and select the installed Florida TOPO. See the following tutorial:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

GPSMap 60CSx

I did that and Map source doesn't see the maps. I can open the folder on my computer and see all of the files in the folder but Map source isn't finding them. I open mapsource and go to new or open and then a new window for my hard drive opens and I click on the folder with the topo maps in it and nothing happens in mapsource. Thanks for any help.  I've also looked at the tutorial,, I'll look at it again. Maybe I missed something. 

GPSMap 60CSx

O.k. let me see if I can explain so this makes sense. I opened Mapsource and then clicked on open, a hard drive window opened, I clicked on Florida Topo folder and Mapsource didn't open anything. I did the same thing and then on the Hard drive pop up I went to the drop down box and clicked on "All Files". then clicked on "Open". Oh, I forgot to mention that I went to my hard drive download folder and tried the tutorial again first by uninstal and then install. This is the error that Mapsource gave me. And other than the string of numbers it was the same with all of the .img files I tried, anyway here is the error message in quotes,,,,"GPS\florida\topo\54881980.img is not a valid mapsource file and could not be opened". I don't want to go through all of the aggravation the .img tutorail instructed me to do. 
So if this won't work I'll ask Santa Clause for topo maps from Garmin. I'm using Vista Home Premium for my O.S. if that matters.   

Jimbob

when I downloaded NM topo it did not show in the map section. Try going to the main menu, click on "switch to product". This brought up the map and let it show under maps. Believe it to have been just a quirk.

GPSMap 60CSx

I'll try both suggestions, Thank you.

GPSMap 60CSx

Talk about an easy fix!!! I didn't see it before, all I had to do was to go to a drop down menu in the very far left hand corner of the main Mapsource page and then click on Fltopo in the list and wellaa I've got all of the state topo map. Now to install the sections I want in my GPS. I think anyway that I know how to do that. I also have and want to keep my street maps because I need them also, will the Topo maps mess up the street maps. I've got the CD but my CD player doesn't work so I can't re-download the street maps. I think Ive got a 2 GB card installed in the GPS. Come to think of it I can't even delete any of the street maps that I don't need because the CD was installed on a computer that doesn't work anymore, or at least I'll have to fight with it to get it to work. Thanks again for everybody's help. I'll wait to install the topo's until I hear back from somebody about the street maps.     

GPSMap 60CSx

No, there not in Mapsource, Try to make a long story short. My computer was broke so I installed the maps in an older computer W/Mapsource, when I got my computer fixed Dell didn't replace my CD player like I ask them to because the warrenty was about to expire, I assume that was there logic, anyway, so now I can't install the maps on my computer (I have to buy another CD player)so it won't help to get another code from Garmin until I can afford another CD player. I'm downloading Ibycus as I type this. The maps are on my GPS, but since I travel some I installed all of the US in it so I could do some geocaching where ever I went. I might be able to kick the other computer to get it to work and then delete some of the street maps that I know now I'm not going to need to make some memory room on the card. And use Ibycus if I need more street maps. Thanks.   

GPSMap 60CSx

Well, I found something out the hard way, after a call to Garmin. I completely erased my City Navigator maps when I installed the Florida Topo maps. Ida never thunk it. Now because of computer problems I'm going to have to use 2 SD cards, 1 for my City Navagator maps and 1 for my topo maps. I decided if I have to do things that way then I might as well get more topo maps so I downloaded all of the topo maps for the S.E. U,S. except S.C., for some reason S.C. is in the list but there's no map. Bummer!! I've got a 2GB card I wanted to fill up. I saw the trail overlay but the info said it was 25 years old, don't want that I guess.   

maps4gps

If you have CN on DVD, you can combine it and other mapset data and send it to the GPSr as one gmapsupp.img file.  See:http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

I did not upload a SC topo because of the high percentage of NED/DEM gridded elevation data which was produced by USGS using older production methods.  The resulting contours can be very different (and unrealistic) from those on the printed topo quads.  USGS's Oct release of NED data replaces much of this older data, however it will take some time to download, process, etc.  USA topo SE includes SC. 

QuoteI've got a 2GB card I wanted to fill up.
Everytime you want to include additional data the gmapsupp.img file needs to be recreated and  transfered to the GPSr.  This takes some time and gets old after you do it a few times.

The published 100K maps and resulting digital files are of that age.  There are a few websites which are slowly acquiring trail info from people's track logs.