GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

map details

Started by rturpin, November 04, 2008, 04:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rturpin

I just discovered GPSFileDepot and have downloaded the US map. From it I selected a small portion around my home. My question is this. The map, when viewed on my computer monitor, shows essentially all the roads in my neighborhood, but when I have selected the portion I want and downloaded it to my GPSr many of the roads do not show up on the GPSr display at any resolution. Why is that? They are not new roads in any sense of the word since this whole area/neighborhood has been around for over 30 years. 
The map, where the roads do show, seems to be much more accurate than the Garmin topo map, but if key roads are totally missing accuracy is not the issue.
Thanks for any input. Perhaps I have done something wrong and the road data has been lost in the process.

-Oz-

did you zoom in far enough?

Also, make sure you're viewing the correct map.  Its possible you could still have the topo up.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

rturpin

Coordinate example:  N38 00.724  W 121 22.110  to N38 00.011 W 121 21.478
This defines a region that includes my neighborhood.  The streets/roads are missing beyond this region to the east and north (and west?).
I noticed that this seems to be one segment of the whole that I thought I had selected. Roads show further south just fine, and accuracy is good. 
(Later) I just simplified my selection in MapSource, selecting only one "block" defined by (top left) N38 09.248  W 122 00.497 to (lower right) N 37 00.689  W 119 58.630 ... downloaded to my GPSr and got the same results ... no roads above about N38, roads below N38.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

-Oz-

I don't have the ibycus map installed right now but I would suggest selecting a larger swath.  Also, have you installed the 2.01 patch?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

rturpin

No, I have not installed the patch. Am downloading it as I type. Had forgotten about it.
I did try a larger swath the first time, with the same results.
Thanks for your help & suggestions.

rturpin

I'm back!
The patch seemed to do the trick! Thanks for the reminder.
Can hardly wait to get out on my bike again to test the map more thoroughly.

rturpin

-Oz-

Yea, the patch fixed certain areas that were "bad".  There are still a few left (very small few).
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

storman113

Just downloaded Ibycus US map. It's great, save me a ton from having to buy the factory one.  But, how do you install the patch??

Thanks in advance.

-Oz-

You go to the directory where ibycusUSA installed (should be in C:\Program Files\Ibycus...) there may be variations of that.

Extract the IbycusU2 files over the current files and extract the numerical files to the location where all the img files are (all number files).  They may be in the same directory or they may be in a /img directory inside the Ibycus directory (can't remember).

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

storman113

Got it. Thanks a lot. Real nice to have the NW trails and Streets loaded up.

-Oz-

glad its working for you
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!