GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Problem bringing up recent map download -60CSX

Started by TLock, October 26, 2009, 09:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLock

Ok, per my recent post here I DID confirm my micro SD card that came with my unit was empty, and no problem to download  File Depot's "CA Topo".  (Thanks for the info)  I just downloaded  some tiles of California (approx 150Mb), everything seemed to work out...I went to the map page and the same'ol "base map?" that came with the unit and is so basic it's frustrating is all I get on the "map page".  It said download was successful, so I'm wondering where's California Topo... I go MENU to SETUP to MAP....under "info" here I can see (by toggling up or down) what I assume are all the different tiles I highlighted- all ID'd as California Topo..I can check a box under "show"...but that is where I end...Can't seem to get anywhere from here.  Tried turning off and on, not sure what else...Read recent post today related maybe?  I was sloppy and overlapping in highlighting tiles...could that be it?
Thanks again,
Tim

TLock

OK I'll try that this evening when I get a chance

TLock

You were correct.  On zoom in some VERY weak topo lines occur with plenty of readable elevation markers-I assume associted with those lines which I can really not see on the tan background.I've looked around to find color/contrast changes but have come up blank.The lack of detail in the waterways of the California Delta is as non descript as the basemap which came with the unit...Is this just what I get for free? This is my first GPS experience.  I was thinking I could view something close to what I'd see on a paper topo map.  If I buy one for $100 from Garmin, can I get that?  I'm going to call them now...Thanks for any more insights

maps4gps

Oz got permission from the author of that mapset to 'reformat' it and include it here.  Laura is not a 'member' of gpsfiledepot.  Her writeup mentions she used 100K data for hydro. Earlier this month, Census released updated data; which is what we usually use for transportation (streets, etc); thus most/all mapsets created before then are out of date in this respect and need to be redone.  It is being worked on, but the amount  of data is large and takes some time to bring together and process.

Close to what is on a printed 24K is what we would like to create.  However, there is no one source for that data (USGS only created vector data for about 4% of the 24Ks covering the 48 States).  Most of the data we use was created for reasons other than making maps.  

Garmin just made it possible to view image data (like scanned maps and phots) on their CO, OR, and DK units.

Many/most users consider the maps here to be 'better' than those from Garmin.  CA topo is one of the earlier mapsets and has not yet been redone as mapauthors become more experienced.

margo

Maybe it's not really checked. When you go to the map set up page you have to hit the "options" button again to get a second menu that is the real place you select maps.

At least that's what I was doing wrong.

Boyd

Have you seen this review of the Garmin 24k Topo maps? http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/24Kmaps/twofourmaps.html

The new "custom maps" feature for the Oregon, Colorado and Dakota which maps4gps mentions is very cool, here's an example: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/245. Unfortunately it won't work on your 60csx though.