GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

garmin's downloaded maps not transferable

Started by dierenarts, October 14, 2009, 07:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dierenarts

I have had 2 rounds with Garmin on this.  I have an Etrex Vista Cx for some time now.  I have a microsd card with garmin's northeasth USA topo map that i paid for and downloaded from garmin.  Got tired of signal loss situations in wooded environs so I just bought the newer Etrex Legend HCX.  Garmin now informs me that I cannot transfer this map to the new unit and have to shell out get another fee.  Seems unfair to me (especially since had I bought the har copy disk, I would not be restrained in this manner).  Is there a work-around to change the link from the old unit to the new one?

dierenarts

Thanks...actually was already transfering the first section to my unit as I read your reply.

dierenarts

just a quick question, if i download the first set to the microsd card and then later decide to download some more from another set...will it ADD to the card or overwrite what's there.  i.e. if i want all 3 sets should i load them all at once?

maps4gps

With a Vista or Legend you have to load them all at one time.  MapSource makes one gmapsupp.img file which it puts onto the GPSr.

dierenarts

Ok I had succesfully download NE USA Topo part 1 to the unit, is there a way to download all 3 parts to the unit at the same time?  Seems like mapsource only lets you select one map at a time

margo

And then read my thread below this one for information on how to toggle between the maps sets.  :)  I had trouble understanding that for some reason. When I went to the map choice screen it appears as if there is only one map, with a box you check or uncheck. What you have to do when you get to that point is hit menu again to take you to the real menu for map selection.

The free maps are awesome! Without them my vista may as well have been my venture. I have a nuvi for navigation so the non-routing aspect of the free maps does not bother me.

dierenarts

Sorry but this is not the case, all I wanted to do was take that microSD card, stop using it in my old unit and start using it in my new unit.  Was told by more than one tech support person that this is NOT ALLOWED as the download is linked only to the orginal unit and I'd have to buy a new one for the new unit.

Koen

Boyd

Phew, those downloaded maps are bad news all around - they have the worst qualities of both the DVD and pre-loaded cards but none of the the advantages. The preloaded cards don't work in Mapsource but can be used in any GPS. The DVD version works in Mapsource but can only be used on one GPS.

The downloads can only be used in one GPS and they don't work in Mapsource. Ugh.

alpine

That pretty much is a three strikes and your out, in my mind.