GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

60CSX - changing topo segment question

Started by DJR, October 22, 2009, 07:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJR

Okay, here's the story so far. Got Mapsource installed no problem. Downloaded the Washington 24k Topo no problem. Uploaded map to my new 60CSx no problem. Everything just too good to believe. Went hiking in an area about a hundred miles from home last week and just can't say enough good things about how well it all worked.

Don't know how to properly put this into a question but essentially when I scroll out of the segment of the map that I'm located in here at home it drops the topo detail and reverts to the base map with no topo detail. I figured that I simply needed to zoom out to the level where it shows the map grid and put the cursor/pointer on that segment (where I was last week for example) and hit enter to bring it up. No joy there. Seems like it should be possible.

Shows the Washington map in the setup window and scrolling through the various segments it looks like everythings checked in the "show" window. A puzzlement.

Am I overlooking the obvious? Thanks for any enlightenment.

DJR

DJR

Sorry about the confusing way I've described my problem. Taking a closer look I find that zooming in changes things from "basemap" to "mapsource" according to the text in the lower left display. This occurs at ~5M. Evidently it is reading the topo map okay but what I do not see are any contour intervals.

I have changed the setup/detail back and forth from "normal" to "most" but no luck there. Maybe this is how it is supposed to work and as I move physically into the area of that tile the contour displays but is otherwise hidden.

My concern is that for one reason or another I reloaded the map after I got back and although it went without a hitch I'm not sure this is how it was before. All I know for sure is that I had very good and accurate contour displayed when I was there but not now regardless of how far in I'm zoomed. The tile I'm in presently displays normally, with contour lines.

Perhaps this is normal and I'm stressing for nothing. Just don't want to drive that distance (I'm going back in a few days) and find the detail I need is not there.

I appreciate your help and advice. As you can see I'm finding my way as I go here.

DJR

DJR

Example of what I'm trying to say.

Here is a screen shot of McDanial lake taken from the Topo map loaded on my computer:

This is the same location as it appears on my GPS here at home (100 or so miles away):

Contour lines are present when viewing locations close to home, like this:

Just wondering if I have all the buttons pushed and toggles toggled and will the contour lines appear as I move from map segment to map segment?  In other words is this what others are seeing or have I not loaded something properly.

Hope this explains my question a little more clearly. Thanks for your patience.

DJR

maps4gps

Your pics show what you described. I do not remember such a issue being mentioned before.
What you describe and show is not normal behavior.

In testing mapsets I pan to far-away areas (sometimes across blank areas) and all the data is there as expected.  Sometimes the display 'hangs' and I need to zoom in or out and then back, or turn the unit off and start over.

Do you have any other mapsets loaded?
I have experienced issues with MapSource sending data directily to the GPSr - OK with sending to USB thumb drive and then transfering to micro card via Mass Storage mode.

What do you get if you just send the McDaniel lake quad to the GPSr?  This will overwright the gmapsupp.img file on your micro memory card, so you may want to rename it first.

How much have you tried other settings?  Sometimes the units get 'overloaded' and you may have to do a 'factory' reset.  You hold down one? of the buttons as you power-on.  Not sure which one; might be quit or enter ??
BEWARE that in doing this you will have to reinter all you 'personal' settings like welcome screen, units, time zone, mapsettings, etc.

DJR

Well, that's not what I was hoping to hear but I do appreciate you confirming it's not as it should be. I do not have anything but the Washington Topo loaded on the GPS at this time but after I came back from my recent trip I downloaded the Montana Topo and a NW trail overlay. I then uploaded the three to my GPS and that's when I first noticed the problem. Not sure whether or not that was how it was before I decided to upload just the Washington map (assuming that would overwrite and clear the other two) but the problem remains.

I'm thinking there is some conflict with the trails map. I think I'll delete that from my mapsource program and try it again. If that doesn't work I'll get rid of the Montana map and see if that was it. After that I think I need to format everything and start from square one. Thanks again and I'll post back here with the results.

DJR

DJR

Okay, after much fiddling, deleting, reloading, etc. I have evidently achieved success. Thanks maps4gps for your help.

Here is where I think I went wrong. In the downloaded to mapsource Washington topo map there is a band of overlapping grids (segments, tiles, whatever) right across the middle. when I used the map tool to highlight the areas I wanted I did not actually select the overlapped tiles. Thinking that the entire map was highlighted I uploaded it to the GPS. Here is a picture of what I had highlighted. This is incorrect!:

The correct way is to make sure the overlapping tiles are also selected and that looks like this:

When I first uploaded the map I had it highlighted correctly but when I tried adding Montana it looks like I used the incorrect method. In any case  I think I have it right now and the contour appears to be correct. The McDaniel lake display now loads as it should.

Thanks again and maybe this will help someone else.

DJR

DJR

Yes I hate to miss the little things but it sure is nice when the solution is as simple as this.  ;D

Thanks for the advice and for taking an interest.

DJR

Boyd

Good solution - your problem had me scratching my head because I've never seen anything like that myself.

Also... there's a little program called xImage for taking screenshots on your 60csx: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=545

The newer Garmin units have a built-in screenshot capability, which is something I always missed on my 60csx.