News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Problem with memory max in dem2topo

Started by avandergon, November 03, 2008, 06:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avandergon

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for putting this site together!

I am attempting to build the topo map for Minnesota. I am having some trouble after downloading the DEMs with processing using dem2topo. Most of the segments are processing just fine but a few of them are too big I believe. I get an error message that says there is not enough memory while dem2topo is building the contours. I know that there is a maximum memory for dem2topo with Windows and I know I have more than enough memory to process these files. I was wondering if there is either a way to split up the TIFF files into smaller segments for processing with dem2topo or if there is another free program out there that can build contours from DEMs without a memory restriction.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Arion

-Oz-

if you have downloaded and installed fw tools you can use this command:  http://www.gdal.org/gdal_contour.html
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

avandergon

Thank you Dan for the quick response. Do you know if I can use that same command but instead of creating a shapefile as the result, create a polished format file? If not, it will just be an extra step in the process but that's fine too. Thanks again.

-Oz-

Forgot dem2topo output the polish format; no, that command will always create a shapefile.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!