News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Dictionary problem with leveling - EndLevel

Started by hntr, October 19, 2009, 04:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hntr

Quote from: maps4gps on October 22, 2009, 07:45:04 AM
What program are you using to create the .mp file(s)?
Could you attach a portion of the an .mp with a 2 or 3 small polygon features?

using GlobalMapper
see attached file from one of the trials

maps4gps

Your ex.mp file looks OK to me.  The three polygon types should display at about 3 mi and continue to display all the way in (20 feet).
I compiled it with cgpsmapper versions 9.6a and 9.8g
Interesting results in mapedit : you ex.mp file begins to display at 0.28 mi; however, both    
        compiled .img files begin to display at 3 mi.  I have never seen a discrepency before, but
        have never made a .mp file with a directory.
Opened your ex.mp file in GM and exported it as a .mp file,  Also used the 'header' data in your
        file as a template .mp file and exported a .mp file.  Compiled both of these and both the .mp
        and .img files begin to display 3 miles.
Tried all the .img files on my 76csx by transfering each .img file and renaming it gmapsupp.img.
        All polygons showed as solid blue (a Garmin default for undefined/custom types ?? ) and
        first display at 3 miles and remained displaying to 20 feet.
Used MapSetToolKit to install an .img file to MapSource.  Bounding rectangle displayed and  
        some 'created by cgpsmapper.......'  With further zoom, nothing additional.  This might be
        normal as you used custom type definitions and I did not have that file when using  
        MapSetTookKit.  Selected the quad and sent it to the GPSr.  At 3 mile zoom the polygons  
        displayed as blue and remained displayed through 20 feet.

Perhaps MapSource does not support custom type information, or that info has to be put into MapSource other than in the mapset.  ---  Just noticed in the cgpsmanual that custom types have to be installed in MapSource.  ---

I was hoping Boyd would have something to say as he may be the groups most experienced person with custom type files.  

Might also be some incompatibilty between the versions of the various software packages being used.

Attached are two of the .mp and .img files I construceted.

maps4gps

Since you are using GM, output the .mp file without a directory section.  If GM does not know what something is, it will default it to level(endlevel) 2, which will be the '19' in your level2.  Either edit the default GM .mp output file for Transparency+Y and add the 5th zoom level etc., or take the 'img id' portion of the zzzz.mp file and refer to it as a template file when GM writes the data.  I have not done a custom type, so not sure where that might come in.

hntr

I did a test with just letting GM export the mp file with it's default img header the other day.  It still did the same loading the data at all levels.

i will try some of your other suggestions above

hntr

Here is what cgps has to say:

"Transparent maps are VERY specific - best - create only 2 layers (one empty) - otherwise it might behave strange a little bit.."