GPSFileDepot.com

Looking for map with hiking trails in New York and Vermont

Started by davidklein, October 14, 2009, 09:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidklein

Hi,

I've downloaded the NE US Topo Part 1 but as far as I can see it does not have hiking trails on the maps.  Northeast 24K is not yet available from Garmin. I usually hike in areas that are not part of the US National Parks - so that map won't work for me either. 

Is there a map available that has hiking trails in NY and VT - that are not necessarily part of the National Parks?

Thanks.
David

Seldom

You might find useful trails on OpenStreetMap.  I upload my hikes there, although none are in the areas you are interested in.  Extracting the data will require a learning curve, but it's doable. And then you'll need to learn to make the transparent overlay that mentioned.

davidklein

You might look into getting some .gpx tracks that you can make into a transparent overlay map to use with your download. If Garmin's 24k TOPO is missing as many trails out there as it does out West, you can then use it with that product when that comes out.

I'm very new at all this - is there a tutorail on how I can make a map of trails that I hike?  But I am still more interested in an electronic version of the papermaps that I use when I hike that have all the hiking trails on them.

thanks.