GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Saba Island Netherlands Antilles Topo Map

Started by dierenarts, October 13, 2009, 01:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dierenarts

Anyone happen to have a downloadable Garmin compatible topo map for the dutch antilles , specifically Saba Island?  Also would love one for St. John USVI

maps4gps

The best resolution NED elevation seams to be at 30 m resolution - which is probably why I did not do PR or VI along with the state mapsets.  Check the .img file at cloudmade.com - it may be limited to outline and road data.
When did you need this?

-----  Contouring 30m for VI looks passable.
        I have not done much testing with 90m SRTM data - somewhat different in VI, but may be usable; too me it does not look to usable for NA as it appears to over- and under-shoot the coastline and has many dangling contour lines; may be a projection isssue, but to me it looks like it is too widely spaced data for a small island to make an adequate contour map.

-----  Test run with Census data and contours gives a 1Mb .img file.  Some features in the Census data are 'unknown' in GlobalMapper - I will take a closer look at these tomorrow as this is the just released 2009 Census Tiger data.

dierenarts

the coast line is rough in real life too  :) I'm a real newbie with this stuff , so I have no idea about the other technical parts of your reply, sorry

dierenarts

answer to previous post..."need this"  never really, just would be nice to have.  am going there a week from this Friday...never been...hear the diving and hiking are great

maps4gps

I have finished the VI mapset and tested it on my 76csx.  

----- VI Topo mapset has been uploaded.

maps4gps

QuoteI cut a 50m CI as a test run, the coastline data looks a little rough. It would take a bit of work to add transpo & additional POIs, but doable.

I used the SRTM data from CGIAR version 4 and contoured at 40' intervals.  At 50m or 150ft, the partial and in the ocean contour lines are not there either.  Was not expecting Saba Is. to be the one with only two points of info in the cloudmade dataset.

I do not think I have anything that would add any transportation on Saba Is. 

dierenarts

I posted a request a while back for GPS map for the island of Saba and was told there were none for download.  While visiting the isalnd, I obtained a trail map for the entire island which has topo features.  Is there a way to us my scanner to scan various sections and convert to gps useable format?

Boyd

What kind of GPS do you have? If it's and Oregon, Colorado or Dakota then this is especially easy. See this thread: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,589.0.html

Othewise, have a look at Mapwel: http://mapwel.eu/

It can convert raster images (your scanned maps) to a format that Garmin units can display, but that is really just a hack with a lot of limitations. But you can also load your scanned image, calibrate it as a map, then trace the trails and other features you want on a separate layer which can be exported as a standard Garmin map: http://mapwel.eu/calib/hw_geo.html

Download the trial version and see what you think. It will have full features on your PC but will only upload a partial map to the GPS until you purchase.