GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

southeast or georgia?

Started by jds912, October 10, 2009, 03:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jds912

i live in georgia and will need topo on gps for hunting in georgia. which is more detailed, the georgia topo or the s.e. topo? thanks

Indrid Cold

Me, I would use the GA state TOPO. I feel it's more detailed in it's contour resolution for the area, and more likely to be updated and supported by the author.

jds912

thanks for the reply. i started to download the s.e. topo. it was going to take an hour to finish. i started thinking, do i really need all the other states besides georgia? NO. i have already downloaded georgia, now i have to figure out how to convert to my gps. ;D

maps4gps

Depends on what detail is most important for your purposes.

SE used NHD 24K hydro and includes Fed Land ownership
GA use Census hydro which appears to be a mix of 100K and 24K (nation-wide)

SE used NED data with 30m spacing to create contours at 20' intervals.
GA used NED data with 10m spacing to create contours at 40', 20', 10', or 5' to closer match the CI used on the source printed USGS topo maps.
Using 20' where the source was 'known' elevation locations at 40' intervals does not add any true description of the land surface - simply a mathematical guess of where the elevation might be located.  Using 20' where the source was 10' or 5' gives a less detailed description in those areas.  Using points at 30m verses 10m spacing will give a less detailed representation of the surface and the contour lines will be described by about 1/3 of the locations.  FYI - USGS released updated elevation data for about 1/2 half of northern Geogria after both these mapsets were created.

I would suggest trying the GA map first, as it is 1/5 the size of the SE mapset - unless the Fed lands is important for your purposes.  If need be, then download the SE mapset.  Both mapsets can be on the GPSr at one time and can be easily switched between, depending on which GPSr you have.

Run the downloaded file, it will install the mapset in MapSource (or dowload the MAC version if you are using a MAC).  See the tutorial on loading to the GPSr: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

margo

I am wondering, I loaded the GA and the NC map on my gps first. But I go to SC a lot and found the SE map and loaded that. I can only select the SE map, the first mapset is gone.

If I make a mapset composed of SE, GA, and NC, how can I switch between them? I am told you have to select all the maps before you make the set and load them, so how can I load them so they can be chosen individuallly? 

Indrid Cold

Quote from: margo on October 11, 2009, 10:47:01 AM
If I make a mapset composed of SE, GA, and NC, how can I switch between them? I am told you have to select all the maps before you make the set and load them, so how can I load them so they can be chosen individuallly?
In the map setup on your GPS you can toggle mapsets on or off individually.

jds912

i am coastal s.e. georgia. i guess i load the s.e. topo if it has a little more detail. not much change in elevation here or other places i hunt in georgia.