GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

viewing maps in windows

Started by ras_oscar, September 27, 2009, 07:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ras_oscar

Newest member here. I would like to create a mapset that shows roads topo and hiking trails in a certain area. I looked through the tuts for creating maps and  feel comfortable slogging my way through it. Problem is, I do not have a Garmin GPSr. Is there a LEGAL way of viewing the maps from  windows? I'm not necessarailly interested in bringing the maps with me on the trail. Want to use trail info to create a geocaching hitlist along a hikable route.  Is there a way I can overlay trail maps created here in Microsoft Streets and Trips?

Indrid Cold

1. You can use the maps on a windows box with MapSource software.
2. You might also be interested in the following:
http://freegeographytools.com/2009/a-pc-gps-application-that-lets-you-use-garmin-vector-maps-for-live-navigation-osm-google-and-bing-maps-too
3. I don't think MSS&T will be able to use the maps from this site.

ras_oscar

Downloaded both Nroute and Mapsource following the links provided. unfortunately they are both upgrades that require install ( I assume and purchase ) of the base programs. I guess I'll need to go buy a Garmin.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: ras_oscar on September 27, 2009, 11:30:45 AM
Downloaded both Nroute and Mapsource following the links provided. unfortunately they are both upgrades that require install ( I assume and purchase ) of the base programs. I guess I'll need to go buy a Garmin.
Look at the following tutorial to get a free version. Do not skip step #1:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

ras_oscar

Got it. Its installed and working now.
What is the best place to find maps of paved walking pathways? I downloaded the mytrails mapset but it only shows outlines of park areas. Checked USGS, no help in the area or concern.

Boyd

You want to make your own maps, but only need to use them on your computer and not a GPS? Did I get that right?

If so, then it really doesn't make much sense to make Garmin maps. Garmin's map format is rather limited and has been optimized to work on their GPS'es. I would stay away from Mapsource, cgpsmapper and all of that in your case. Just get a copy of Global mapper and you can make fantastic maps on your computer.

Or if that's too expensive, maybe GPSMapEdit would be good enough. But you will go through a lot of extra trouble to make Garmin maps without any reason if you aren't using a Garmin GPS.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: ras_oscar on September 28, 2009, 05:49:41 AM
What is the best place to find maps of paved walking pathways? I downloaded the mytrails mapset but it only shows outlines of park areas. Checked USGS, no help in the area or concern.
For what area? Maryland?

ras_oscar

1. Presently I am looking to work with Maps in windows to plot Geocaches and plan routes. Ultimately I intent to buy a Garmin GPS and would like to have trail and topo maps to use in the field. Presently I am NOT using a Garmin, so   I use Microsoft streets and trips to import GPX files containing caches and route from there. Unfortunately the process is road centered, and many series caches are located along hiking trails. I'd like to get trail maps and add to the topo I got from here to complete the routing process. Question:

is there a way to import waypoints located in a GPX file into mapsource and have them show on the topo

is there a source of electronic trail maps in the Columbia maryland area that would be transparent and overlay onto the Garmin topo?

Boyd

Well that's a little different from your first post... In that case, Mapsource will probably do everything you want. It can open .gpx files and it will display them on whatever map you have loaded. They are separate from the map itself however and would be transferred to the gps in a separate file (this allows the use of the same waypoints on any map of your choice).

If, for some reason, you want them to be part of the map itself, then that involves making or modifying your own map. This gets much more complicated than working with mapsource... see the excellent tutorials on this site for details.

ras_oscar

OK Got the GPX files displayed on the topo, no worries. Any source of trail/fire road maps to overlay? All ive seen is links to paper hiking trails/maps.

alpine

There are several on this site. Some are State specific. Look at the home page and you will find a lot of things to look at and try.

If you are looking at something very specific, you'll probably have to make your own.