GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Using GPSMapEdit

Started by astainback, September 17, 2009, 09:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astainback

By suggestion from another thread, I downloaded GPSMapEdit.
I went through the tutuorial on their website.
I saved and opened the tutorial map, and deleted the contents.
I then imported my tracks, and they showed up fine.
What I am trying to do, is create a transparent map from some tracks made while riding ATVs.
I can create the file, but I do not know how to save it or export it to a map file. 

Can anyone suggest what i do now?

Thanks,
Adrian
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

Indrid Cold

Did you select the attached .gpx tracks and convert them to polylines?

astainback

I probably did not do that.
I need to go home and play with it tonight.
So, once I get the tracks into the program, I need to convert them to polylines.
Check.
I will try it tonight.
When I save it.  Or export it, what is the best format?  I want to put it on the 60csx as a transparent map.
Thanks,
Adrian
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

Indrid Cold

You save as an .mp file and export as an .img file for use on a Garmin unit.

astainback

Ok.
I exported the file.
I now have an img file with the tracks in it.
I know I can put img files on the garmin.
I want to overlay it on top of some topo maps.
How do I do this?
How can I view the map (img file) in mapsource?
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

maps4gps

In the .mp file you need to set 'Transparency=Y'  This may have been done by mapedit when it created the .mp file.
Use MapSetTookKit to create and install the mapset into MapSource.  See: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/
The MapSetTookKit site also has some instructions on its use.  I do not believe either reflects the current version of MapSetTookKit, but it is easy to figure out.
In MapSource, open one of the mapsets, select the quads you want - they will be listed in the window on the left, then do then same for another mapset(s).  The total number of quads and file size is shown.  Then send to GPSr - or to the micro chip in a card reader which is much faster if you have more than a few Mb.  See: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

astainback

Ok, mapsettoolkit worked!!

But now, I need to make the map better.
Is there a way to unload maps from mapsource?

Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

maps4gps

astainback

I need to get the map out of mapsource.
Uninstalling mapsettoolkit will uninstall a map from mapsource?
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

astainback

I just opened the program, and I saw the uninstall option.
It worked like a charm!

Thanks!
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

iGPS

Hello, first I'ld like to say what an awesome site this is.  It is generally believed that you can only use Garmin maps, but not only does this site provide better maps (at least for topos) but it shows you how to create your own. 

I am using the NY topos downloaded from here and want to make my own transparent .img to overlay some trails like the OP does.  I chose the correct .img file and open in GPSmapedit.  I delete all object and add .gpx file.  I convert to polyline.  I set transparent = Y and export as .img.  I use mapsettoolkit to create and install into mapsource and load both NY topo and my transparent .img onto my Astro 220 (60csx) gps.  However, I only see my transparent .img, not the NY topo.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong.  Thanks.