News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Nuvi can't see SETopo now

Started by woodstramp, September 16, 2009, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodstramp

Hello,

A few montths ago I downloaded you topo map of the southeast US.   I loaded it on a SD card.  All I had to do was go in to Setting on the Nuvi and uncheck City Navigator and check SETOPO and the topo  would work like a charm.

Well, I lost that SD card.  Still had the SETopo in the PC.  I ran the installer and reloaded the new SD. The SETopo file  is now on that new SD.   Note that this SD also has "Garmin" file which is loaded with a geocache file that was already on there.  When I "look" at the SD through a reader the card has a "Garmin" file and a "SEtopo" file.

Now, I can't get the Nuvi to see your topo file.  The "Garmin" file works fine because I can still see geocaches. 

Does your topo need to be inside the Garmin file to make the Nuvi see it?  Thanks.

maps4gps

I do not have a Nuvi, however, I believe the process is still the same.
If SEtopo is still on the PC and in MapSource, it does not need to be reinstalled.
Use MapSource to select the quads/tiles you wish to transfer to the GPSr.
It will create a gmapsupp.img file and place it in a Garmin Folder on the micro SD card.

woodstramp

Thanks for the reply.

I don't recall having to use Mapsource the last time.  I know I can't remember having to cut and paste pieces of the SETopo.  When I loaded it last time the whole thing was in the SD card.  With the card in the Nuvi I could go in to the Nuvi's settings and disable Citynavigator and enable the SETopo to see it.

Someone on Groundspeak also suggested using Mapsource, so I attempted to open it.  A warning box came up just now stating that "There is a problem with the SETOPO installation. Please reinstall  SETOPO and start Mapsource again."

Guess I got something boogered up.  I'll clean house and start over.