GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Question re. Garmin routable 24k trailmaps.

Started by Seldom, September 15, 2009, 04:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

I've been making routable trail maps using mkgmap, the OSM compiler.  These maps route fine on trails and roads, but I can only get an audible annunciation at turns when moving at highway speeds.  When I'm walking I get no signal approaching a turn.

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has either compiled their own routable maps, or used 24k routable maps on the trail.

Indrid Cold

Well, Garmin's 24K TOPO set is pretty weak on trail data compared to their 100K set. As I understand it, they went with a rebuild and used NavTEQ for road data, and in the process didn't include the trail data from their previous build. Personally, the routing data isn't going to be as current as say a City Nav set, as those get updated 4 (?) times a year. I wouldn't think that the road data in the 24K TOPO set would get updated until they at least get the whole USA built out.

Seldom

Thanks for the response.  It explains why I haven't heard much from postings in other forums. I guess I'm better off with my homebrewed versions. I'd really like to know how my travelling speed affects whether my 60CSX beeps.

The nice thing about routable hiking maps is that they tell you how far you have to go.  Does GPSfileDepot offer any routable maps?

Indrid Cold

Seldom

I've made a few routable trail maps of Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef that I'd like to share, but I have a couple of questions:
1) How do you avoid conflicts with the 8 digit .img file name?  I couldn't find any rules.  Since I've only been mapping for myself up to now, it hasn't been a problem.
2) Do my maps have to come with an installer, or installers?  The set I just described has 6 .img files, and I'd currently use it as a single "product".
3) I've been using mkgmap as my routable compiler.  Will that be a problem for you guys?

Thanks,

Indrid Cold

Quote from: seldom_sn on September 23, 2009, 06:07:06 PM
I've made a few routable trail maps of Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef that I'd like to share, but I have a couple of questions:
1) How do you avoid conflicts with the 8 digit .img file name?  I couldn't find any rules.  Since I've only been mapping for myself up to now, it hasn't been a problem.
2) Do my maps have to come with an installer, or installers?  The set I just described has 6 .img files, and I'd currently use it as a single "product".
3) I've been using mkgmap as my routable compiler.  Will that be a problem for you guys?

Thanks,
You can .zip the .img files and post those and an installer can be made for you. It's pretty easy to make one in any case, and also to convert the map for use on a Mac. all you need is here:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps---part-9---compiling-data/