GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Need help loading maps on 550

Started by likes2hike, September 08, 2009, 08:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

likes2hike

I just bought a Garmin 550 and am trying to load maps obtained here on gpsfiledepot.  I installed  Garmin MapInstall on my Mac and updated the latest software onto the GPS unit from Garmin WebUpdater.  I installed a 4 GB Micro SD card.  When I connect the USB cable to the GPS it says that the cable is detected. WOuld you like to go to mass storage?  (I assume that I do)  Do I want to have the spanner mode selected in the setup or do I have to do something else there?
When I try to open MapInstall, it says that no Garmin Maps are found and that "we could not locate any Garmin map products to install.  Please make sure you have a Garmin Map Product installed and run this app again."
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Indrid Cold

zūmo 550, Oregon 550, nĂ¼vi 550 or  ???

Sounds like you need to download and then install a map. What area are you interested in?

likes2hike

Hi
Oregon 550; sorry I didn't make that clear.
I did finally get things to work.  I didn't carefully read the directions on the map page that instruct me to double click the .gmapi file.  Once I did that, it seems to have worked fine.

I loaded 2 different sets of maps.  It looks like it put them all on the microSD card in a "Garmin"folder and it shows as ONE gmapsupp.img.  When I turn on the unit, however, it shows both sets of maps as enabled.  Does the Garmin combine all the imported files into one gmapsupp.img?

Thanks for responding and offering to help.

Indrid Cold

Yes, that's normal. You can toggle between the two mapsets on the GPS by enabling one or the other. Generally, you won't see both at the same time unless one is a transparent overlay.

Boyd

That is true on all the "classic" garmin units, and if you selected everything in Mapsource and sent it to your Oregon, that's what should have happened.

But the Oregon has a new feature which has been long overdue. You can name your maps anything you want, give them a .img file extension and drop them in the Garmin folder. The GPS will recognize any file with a .img extension and let you select it. Should be a big help in managing maps as we can now just drag/drop files without neediing mapsource.

Indrid Cold

Boyd, the OP is on a Mac and therefor doesn't have MapSource. He could send multiple times with MapInstall to the Oregon or microSD card, renaming the gmapsupp.img files in the process.