GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSMap 60CSx: Managing waypoints/tracks/routes from computer

Started by Smoke68, August 27, 2009, 09:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke68

I combed through my users guide on this one, and I'm pretty sure I'm asking for instructions to do something that is not possible.  It's worth a shot though.

I use my GPS for boating, hunting, and work.  You might imagine that over time I build up quite a large collection of user waypoints and saved tracks.  I organize these waypoints and tracks on my computer by saving individual Mapsource files with related information, e.g. all data having to do with my hunting camp is saved in its own Mapsource file.

The problem is that while all of the data is separated and organized on my computer, it's completely combined and cluttered on my 60CSx unit because it is so time consuming to delete waypoints and saved tracks on the unit itself.  I want to be able to clear off large amounts of data from the unit quickly without wiping out any map data, preferably from my computer.  The only way I know of to delete user waypoints is 1 by 1 from the gps unit.  Ugh.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Oz-

There isn't really an easy way to handle the tracks except maybe making a few custom transparent maps that you turn on and off as needed.

For waypoints your other option is to go with Custom POIs and then you can have different databases of POIs that you can view/select from.  The issue is they don't display on the GPS until you zoom to 300ft.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

skidmark

On page 63 of the manual under " Trip Computer Page Options Menu " it mentions
about being able to select individual items, select all and unselect all. Will this do
what you need? I Don't have a 60CSx so not sure but sounds like it would work.

Does the 60CSx stay in a normal mode when connected to the computer or does
it act like the Nuvi's and becomes a mass storage device?

On my 276c I can delete all the waypoints, tracks and routes on the unit and if
I saved them on the PC send them all back.

Mark

CCameron

There is a function on the GPS where you can delete all at once.

For Tracks or Routes: Press the page button until you get to the Main menu.  Highlight either the Tracks or Routes icon, depending on which you want to delete.  Press Enter.  This page will have a list of all your saved tracks or routes.  Press the menu button.  Scroll down to Delete all...  and press enter.

To delete all waypoints: Press the Find button. Highlight the Waypoints Icon and press enter. In the waypoints list press the menu button.  Highlight Delete and press enter. From there you can delete all waypoints or just ones with a certain symbol type.  If you setup your waypoints on your computer with different colored flags for boating, hunting or work, you can delete only certain groups if you wish.

Hope that helps...

Smoke68

Thanks for the help guys!  I'm going to try all this stuff, but it already sounds like it will work just fine and is exactly what I was looking for.  I have all my waypoints/tracks/routes saved in subject specific files, so being able to delete everything except the maps is ideal.  Then I can selectively load back onto the unit what I plan on using in the immediate future.

Thanks again!

Skid, the 60CSx does not behave as a mass storage device unless that option is selected from the unit while connected to the PC.

astainback

Besides using the unit to do it, you can create separate files on the pc and load them as needed.
If you have waypoints that you use when hiking/biking, and different ones when driving, create two different files and load them as you need them.

I have not had mine for long, but I have created different versions of files for this.
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

Smoke68

Skidmark, You sure are handy with a manual considering you don't even own this unit.  That worked perfectly and is EXACTLY what I wanted to do.  Now I can quickly wipeout my unit and load situation specific GPS files onto it.

THANKS!

You other guys, I appreciate your help as well.  Thanks!

Quote from: skidmark on August 27, 2009, 02:57:50 PM
On page 63 of the manual under " Trip Computer Page Options Menu " it mentions
about being able to select individual items, select all and unselect all. Will this do
what you need? I Don't have a 60CSx so not sure but sounds like it would work.

Does the 60CSx stay in a normal mode when connected to the computer or does
it act like the Nuvi's and becomes a mass storage device?

On my 276c I can delete all the waypoints, tracks and routes on the unit and if
I saved them on the PC send them all back.

Mark