GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

nuvi 550

Started by chamuni, August 25, 2009, 10:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chamuni

I recently purchased a nuvi 550 because it was supposed to include topo maps. It turns out that it doesn't. Now that I have to download maps into my unit, how can I check my unit to determine if it has mapsource installed or not ? What else do I need to do before I download maps into my unit ?

maps4gps

MapSource is a Garmin software program which run on a computer using Windows.
If you 550 came with Trip&Waypoint manager you have it; if not see: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/
Do you have a PC or a Mac?

geo_adventures

Chamuni, I to purchased nuvi 550, my first gps and very satisfied with my choice. I after going through the online registration process couple weeks later recieved a email informing me of a update. After installing the update the download also installed the most recent Mapsource program onto my PC.

Looking into the tools>settings>Map and at the bottom bar is map info there I found what maps I have on the unit. whether it's SD card or installed.

I hope this helped

alpine

The maps that come with the 500/550 are not true TOPO maps. They are just NavTec street maps with some 3 d stuff thrown in.

I have had excellent luck with state (in my case Idaho) and the North West Topo maps I downloaded from this site. You can use them with MapSource and on the GPSr.

This site is an excellent source of information for maps.

Boyd

Quote from: alpine on August 28, 2009, 09:21:16 AM
The maps that come with the 500/550 are not true TOPO maps. They are just NavTec street maps with some 3 d stuff thrown in.

Huh? The Nuvi 500 includes both City Navigator North America (lower 48) AND US Topo 100k. So you are getting full US topo map coverage (albiet on 100k resolution). Garmin's US Topo maps are NOT based on Navteq (which explains why the road data isn't so great).

I think you are confusing this with the Nuvi 550 which only has City Navigator .

alpine

Really?

If it has a true topo map, I'll eat it!

The only map it contains is a City Nav. There is no TOPO map. There is no contour lines. There is some 3-d modeling, but it's not accurate.

However if you use a topo map and the City Nav then you get contour lines and a better view of your surroundings in the mountains of Idaho.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: chamuni on August 25, 2009, 10:37:29 AM
I recently purchased a nuvi 550 because it was supposed to include topo maps. It turns out that it doesn't.
I thought the nüvi 500 had the US TOPO maps.

Boyd

Quote from: alpine on September 09, 2009, 06:48:53 PM
If it has a true topo map, I'll eat it!

Here's your breakfast!  ;)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13424#featureTab

Quotenüvi® 500

Part Number: 010-00700-10
Suggested Retail Price: $ 299.99 USD

Navigate Off-Road

nüvi 500 also includes preloaded U.S. topographic maps and accepts optional mapping for all of your outdoor adventures (see Maps tab for compatible maps).

Yes, it is the Nuvi 500, which is different from the 550. But I was responding to this statement, which is not correct:

Quote from: alpine on August 28, 2009, 09:21:16 AM

alpine

If you believe everything Garmin says, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you for half price special deal just for you.

First off the 500 will not route off road like the manual says. And until the last software update (2 months ago) it would not even work with MapScource. Currently I have to make the waypoints in TopoFusion, save the file, open the file in Mapscource, make the route in Mapscource, correct the route after Mapscource butchers it, save it, then transfer it to the SD card before importing it from My Data. Yeah, real consumer friendly device.

The installed map is City Navigator Lower 49 States NT 2009.

It also says it is TOPO but I have one sitting in front of me and it is not TOPO, or they just redefined the meaning of the term, just like Clinton did with the word "sex".

The only way I get a "real" topo is also having the NW Topo map installed and checked.

And I'll have A-1 with that GPS.

Boyd

Sorry, you have lost me here. The Nuvi 500 should have US Topo 100k loaded on it. If yours doesn't then something is wrong. I believe the topo map is bundled with City Navigator into one file, but you can still select the separate maps. This is the map - you can view it by clicking the "detailed interactive map" link. The 100k topo's are not great, but I would consider them topo's.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=28229&pvID=29597#coverageTab

Does your really not have this map on it?

Personally I doubt that I would be happy with a Nuvi 500 either, which is why I haven't bought one.

alpine

The map doesn't look anything like that. Let me ask you: If the TOPO map is 2 gb and the CN map is 2 gb, then how come the map in the 500 is only 2 gb?

Like stuffing 5 lbs of feathers in a 2 lb bag.

But I bought the unit for the large screen (for us old folks those little 2" screens don't do it) and because it's waterproof. Everything else is an overcome able obstacle.

There are thousands of miles of ATV trails, fire service roads, and other trails to ride in southern Idaho. So as long as I know roughly where I am, and I can track where I've been, I'm a happy camper (for the most part).

Boyd

Quote from: alpine on September 11, 2009, 08:58:39 AM
The map doesn't look anything like that. Let me ask you: If the TOPO map is 2 gb and the CN map is 2 gb, then how come the map in the 500 is only 2 gb?

Well the full North America City Navigator NT map is actually 993MB on my Nuvi, not 2GB (the newest version might be a little bigger?). But the "lower 48" version would be smaller. My version of US Topo is about 3GB, so that is curious. I guess my assumptions about the Nuvi 500 maps are wrong... sorry.

It is really a shame that they didn't put the real 100k topo's on that unit. The specs they provide certainly implied that they had.  :-\