News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Lost all routes after 66i update

Started by TeleBruce, June 19, 2023, 07:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeleBruce

Greetings!
I just did an update for my 66i, first one in quite some time. I have a map I loaded from this site, and added routes for all the areas I hike in. I was using it this weekend in fact.
After the update, I go to FIND and no routes are listed. None at all, no waypoints, no saved tracks nothing.
The map is loaded in the GPS, I can see it along with three others from Garmin. I have enabled it but still no routes.

What can I do?
I probably have the original file located on my computer, but I do not run mac or windows so the only map program available to me is CalTopo for whatever that is worth.
Thanks for the assistance!

TeleBruce

EDIT - looks like it might have done a complete reset?? all the information is gone.
It's been long enough I really don't remember how I installed the routes to begin with. Like I said, I really don't use this much.

Boyd

Routes are completely separate from maps on Garmin GPS units. Normally they would be preserved no matter what maps you install or remove. But yes, if you did a "hard reset", that would delete all data from the GPS.

If you backed up the GPS, then the data should be somewhere on your computer. Otherwise, it's probably gone.  :(

TeleBruce

Thanks I do have a backup, actually the original file I used to install the routes.
I have twi .img files - gmapsupp.img    and one I named SodsFull.img
Just need to remember how I installed those. I think I just pulled the sd card out of the 66i and copied one or both .img files to the card.
thanks for the reply!

EDIT actually just realized the folder on my computer is a copy of the SD card from when I purchased the 66i in 2021. It has the two .img files, GPX, SQL and userdata folders. I wonder If I could just copy all of them to the sd card and see what shows up when installed in the 66i

Boyd

.img files are maps, not routes, so you don't want those. If you created routes, they should be somewhere in the GPX folder.

Yes, I think the 66i will automatically scan the card if you copy the folders to their original locations. Sorry, the 66 series is a new generation of Garmin device that I have not used.

Basecamp can be used to manage/transfer routes if you connect the GPS. However, apparently you are using Linux/unix and can't use Basecamp? It might be possible with Wine? If not Basecamp, I have read that Garmin's older software, Mapsource, can be used with Wine.

TeleBruce

Thanks Boyd. I'll try fooling with it this afternoon.

TeleBruce

Well it took long enough.
got excellent support from Garmin to figure out what was going on here.
1) I needed a full system update, from 8.10 to 9.50  I used Mobile Garmin Express on my andriod. Took forever.

2) For reason still unknown, the 66i could 'see' my SD card, and could 'see' the .img files, but not the GPX files.

3) I connected my 66i to my computer and copied the GPX files from a backup into the internal GPX folder of the device. All is fine. I can access  them all.
Still not sure why I could not access them on the SD card. I can access the map, but not the GPX files.

One other option I have not tried yet (but will) is to reformat the sd card (FAT32), copy my backup files to it, and see if the 66i will recognize it as in the past. If it does I willremove the GPX files from internal memory and just use the SD card. Less of a chance of corrupting something in internal memory I would think.

IF YOU RUN LINUX
and you need to transfer files from a backup to your GPS, connect the device to your computer via USB data cable. it will be mounted as GARMIN. You can open it and get to any file folder on the device if necessary. copy the files you need to transfer and paste into the appropriate folder. Just be careful what you're doing of course!

thanks for  the help Boyd! Sometimes all I need is a nudge and I'll work whatever out.

Boyd

Great - glad you got your data back!  8)

TeleBruce

Hello Boyd - Back again with this.

I was wrong.
the solution was much simpler than I thought and it will encourage me to spend a bit more time familiarizing myself with my own GPS!

Loading my backup GPX files into the onboard GPX folder worked fine until I turned the 66i off. Rebooted and all was missing again.

Solution:
1) Connect GPS to the computer
2) computer will show 2 mass storage devices (or in my case with Linux - 2 drives)  Garmin, and 32GB SD card.
3) Check the GPX folder on the SD card. Mine was empty.
4) With the 66i still connected to the computer - Copy all the GPX files from your backup to the GPX folder on your SD card (not internal memory!).
5) When finished, Disconnect the GPS
6) Reboot the GPS
All the files should now load into the onboard memory and be accessible.

I tried rebooting the 66i several times. Each time everything was there. Checked a route I was familiar with and all the info was there.

Problem solved.

I still do not understand why the 66i did not recognize the GPX files that were on the card when it was updated. Neither did Garmin support. But it seems loading them to the SD card from backup, through the 66i when it was connected to the computer did the trick.
Hope this will be useful to somebody else.