GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Possible to convert Garmin .img maps for use on Android?

Started by fuzzybabybunny, August 01, 2021, 12:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybabybunny

Someone shared a map of an entire country with me via Google Drive. He rides a motorbike with a Garmin 64s and has extensively mapped a lot of the roads in this country on his Garmin device over the span of a decade. Unfortunately he's a bit clueless on computer matters so he isn't able to explain to me how the files work.

I don't and have never owned a Garmin device. All I've got is Basecamp on Windows.

---

I've got these files on my hard drive:

Laos_Map.img - 22MB

gmapsupp.img - 22MB (oddly, *exactly* the same filesize as the above)

Southeast_Asia.img - 490MB

These don't open in Basecamp and apps like MAPC2MAPC can't open them.

---

I'd like to take these maps and, at least,

1) get them to open on a desktop app like Basecamp, and ideally

2) convert and load them into an Android mapping app like OsmAnd (conversion into an .sqlitedb file or some other non-proprietary standard)

I'm completely unfamiliar with Garmin .img files, what the various files are, and how to use them. Are the maps this person has spent a decade making basically locked to Garmin devices?

Boyd

You would probably need the source data that the mapmaker used, and it would be complicated. But have a look at Oruxmaps, it runs on Android and is free. It can use Garmin .img files, with some limitations. I was not impressed with the way it rendered the maps, but it worked when I tried it a few years ago.

https://www.oruxmaps.com/cs/en/

gatorguy

Could you use the official Garmin Explore app for Android (and iOS). Look in Google Play.
Dakota 10 / Map76

Boyd

How would that work? I looked at it awhile back - they also have a web portal - and AFAIK you must own one of the newer (read: expensive) Garmin devices. I think it only allows your compatible Garmin devices (such as the Overlander) to download maps that were included in the purchase but not pre-loaded, such as scanned USGS topo's and digital globe (birdseye) imagery.

How would you use it to access third party .img files stored on your computer (as the OP has requested)? Maybe that's possible, but I never saw anything to suggest that it is.