GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Help with Mapsource and topo

Started by Cato, August 16, 2009, 02:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

I am totally new to GPS.  I have been given a Garmin Oregon 400t.

I downloaded mapsource, and also the Mississippi topo provided on this site.  I am trying to view it in Mapsource, and transfer it to my GPS.  The files for the topo are in a folder on my drive (I can see them with explorer) but I cannot get them to open in Mapsource.

I know this is a rookie question, but can somebody tell me what to do please.

Thank you.

Cato

I realize now that all I have is image files.  I have gone through the FAQs and found the one on how to image files with MapSetToolkit.  However, when I try to use it, it tells me that there is a "Family ID", and will not let me complete the install of the files to Mapsource.

Can somebody tell me what to do?

Thank You

Cato

Everything I did was with a hot link from this site.  I went to the custom maps section, found Mississippi, opened it, and clicked on the "download Windows Verstion".  It put an exe file on my desktop.  I clicked on it, and it installed the image files in a folder.

I then saw the button that says "need mapsource?".  I did the same thing there.  It also put an exe file on my desktop from which I installed.

I ultimately realized that all I had was img files in my folder.  I went to the Tutorials for "how to lad img files into mapsource with mapsettoolkit.

I used the link under the section that says "getting the necessary software", and downloaded MapSetToolkit.   That offered 2 links to download the free version from; I chose the first one.

Following those instructions, I did find that I had a tdb file, so it, so I went tot he section that says "the Map has a tdb file".  I followed those instructions.  The diagram on that Tutorial shows a family ID on the sample page.  When I attempted to install from there, it gave me a message saying something like "family ID present" and then would not let me install.

Obviously I am confused.  Thanks for any help.

Cato

I also dowloaded the free cGPSmapper as it said it was needed also.  However, the instructions never made reference to it, so have not done anything with it yet.

maps4gps

From his 6:10PM post, it seems he downloaded and installed MS topo first and then downloaded and installed MapSource.  Perhaps MapSource needs to be installed before a mapset can be installed properly.

Cato

First of all, I very much appreciate your help; thank you to both of you.

I went back and reinstalled each item in succession; training center, mapsource, and MS topo, all from the links just provided.  It still does not work.

When I open Mapsource, it shows the MS Topo in the choices at the top left, but no map appears.  When I go to view/switch to product, the MS Topo is already checked.  Yet the map does not appear.

I would very much like to get this product, and will be happy to make a donation.  However, I have no idea what is going on or what to do next.

I am using Windows XP Professional, so that should be fine.  When I go to my folder for the MS Topo, it shows img. files with numbers as file names, and a Mississippi Topo tdb. file and a MIssissippi Topo img. file, and that is all.

When I tried to follow the tutorial, it tels me "Family ID Existst" and will not complete the install.  What is the family ID, and what does that have to do with it?   When I edit and remove the family ID, it puts it right back in there.

Thank you very much for your patience.

maps4gps

QuoteI have no idea what is going on or what to do next.
Same here.
The family ID is a Garmin requirement used to keep mapsets seperate and is set by the mapauthor.  If the family ID exist in the Windows registery file you can not add another mapset with the same ID number - perhaps this is the problem / see below.

Sometimes when it does not work the first time, a second install does not work either because not everything from the first was cleared.  Try:  Open  MapSetTookKit - you should see MS topo as being installed.  Uninstall it.  Check in MapSource that it is no longer there.  Delete the folder where MS topo was installed.  Install MS topo (run the .exe file you downloaded).  Perhaps, check with MapSetToolKit that it is installed.  In MapSource the MS topo should be listed as available - click on it to make it active.  The MS topo.img (preview) file should then display in the map window.
The detail level in MapSource should be set to 'normal'.

If that does not work:
Are you letting the install program install the files to the folder it defaults to?
At any time previously did you delete the MS topo folder and/or files without first using MapSetTookKit to uninstall the mapset?

Cato

There is an uninstall file.  Should I uninstall, and then install?

I have never used MapSource.  When I changed the zoom to 80" I still do not see anything.

Is there anything stupid I could be doing in Mapsource to prevent me from seeing the map?  In the field at the top left, it does say Mississippi Topo.

Sorry to be such a pain.

Cato

I did uninstall, and reinstall MS TOPO.  No change.

I would be happy to call you if that would be helpful.

Thanks for the help.

Cato

Sorry, we posted at the same time.  I will go through those steps. 

Cato

Cato

IT IS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I followed your last suggestion and it now works.  Thank you so much for your patience.  I will definitely make a donation to the site. 

Indrid Cold