Main Menu

Property ownership boundaries

Started by Didge, March 10, 2021, 09:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Didge

👀 SEARCHING!!!
Hi Folks,
  I hope your day is going wonderfully.

My dilemma:  I cannot find information on the precise depth property ownership extends.
I won't lie and tell you how I love using our GPS handsets. I have yet to have that experience. Aside from using my cell phone, which, I don't really think that qualifies as experience.

At any rate, I have been searching for a website that has that information, to no avail. I am hoping that someone out there might point me in the right direction. After all, I'm sure you are far more qualified than I am at giving directions (🤣 that's supposed to be funny).

Forgive me please, I'm delirious from surfing the web most of the night. But if someone could give me a little bump in the direction I need to go, I would be ever so grateful. Pretty please? Thank you and have a  lovely day.

Boyd

You will not get "precise depth" from any public data or consumer grade GPS, so your best bet would be to consult a surveyor if that's what you need. Based on my own experience, I think the closest you will get to each corner is about +/- 10 meters (about 33 feet) and that is not even assured. I wouldn't trust it for putting up a fence.  ;)

I don't know of any single source for property data, so it depends on your exact location. Many states offer downloadable shapefiles of tax parcels but they will include a disclaimer that they aren't survey grade data. If your state doesn't have the data, check with you county or city. Try some Google searches with phrases like GIS data and parcels - for example, if you live in Smith County Texas, try a Google search such as

smith county texas gis data parcels

However, turning this data into a map for your GPS is very technical and complicated - way more than I could explain here. My web app has some maps that include parcels for my area (Southern New Jersey) so you could find approximate property boundaries using your phone as a GPS, but only if you happen to live in my area. :)

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.906354/-74.793380/parcels2019/0.00/0.00

I have been adding maps of other areas however, so if somebody here knows public mapservices (either WMS or Tiles) for other states, I would consider adding them.