Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forums Search:  

Author Topic: Couple questions regarding my new GPSmap62s  (Read 41 times)

Bferg

• View Profile
Couple questions regarding my new GPSmap62s
« on: October 23, 2020, 07:46:53 PM »
I'm coming from a Garmin ETrek Legend (8mb Blue), now I have a GPSMap62s and need a bit of clarification regarding the new capabilities, how to tame this thing.

I have basecamp running, no Garmin dedicated maps, just maps from this site I believe.
Mainly use the GPS while hiking or skiing on trails I've not been on before, but have been trying things out in the city before actually relying on it in the backcountry.

What in you experience is the best method, pro's/cons of each for traveling on unknown trails
1) waypoint to waypoint
or
2) create a route or a track then follow that

3) The unit has different profiles, some give a calculation error when trying to navigate to a waypoint.
(At first I thought it might have been due to the maps not being routable, not exactly sure what that is, not familiar with this option from the older eTrek Legend)

4) I see within the Maps I have, the Southern Alberta Trail Map is routable, what does that mean and what does that allow me to do over the non-routable Ibycus maps v4?

5) Any idea if these maps are routable?
Worldwide DEM Basemap,NR
OpenMapChest Canada 2020.04.17

6) If a map is transparent what does that help or do?
How can I tell if a map is Transparent?
If two maps are transparent, which map is displayed?

Thanks in advance for your responses, this site is really helpful,  :D
Thanks again  :)
Barry

Boyd

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Couple questions regarding my new GPSmap62s
« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:35:41 AM »
Routable maps contain information about the roads that allow the device to calculate turn-by-turn directions from a start to finish point. In other words, your route will choose the best roads to use and guide you on them. Non-routable maps don't have this info and cannot calculate routes, they will only show your position on the screen and a route will just be a straight line from the start to the finish that doesn't follow the roads. Most of the maps on this site are not routable.

Some of the GPS profiles will use this routing information, others will not.

The Worldwide DEM Basemap NR is not routable - "NR" means "Not Routable". This is a very crude map that is included on the GPS and only shows major features. It is not useful for anything except showing some major features when zoomed way out. If you zoom in, you will see how crude and inaccurate it is. DEM means "Digital Elevation Model", this data is used to provide shaded terrain but it is also very crude (low resolution). Garmin's own topo maps have higher resolution DEM data but maps from this site will not have this.

Transparent maps are intended to be enabled at the same time as another map. They will only have selected features, such as trails for example. So when you enable the transparent map, the trails will be added to another map that you are using.

Sorry, not familiar with the maps you mention.