GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Making Maps with tracks.

Started by astainback, August 06, 2009, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astainback

I am new to using GPS units and maps.. and mapping...

When I create a track on the GPS (60Csx, it's on the way) and pull it up on the PC, am I going to be able to send that track to other people?  Will I be able to create a new map with the track data?

Let's say I go on an ATV trip.  I find a new trail.  Then another, and another.
Pretty soon, I have filled up the 60 CSx with these new trails.  Or tracks.
When I get home, will I be able to create a map with that data?
If I made some trails around my house, and wanted to send a friend a transparent map of the tracks to add to his GPS, is that possible with the tracks I make?

I hope this isn't a dumb question.
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

maps4gps

QuoteWhen I create a track on the GPS ... am I going to be able to send that track to other people?
- Yes.
QuoteWill I be able to create a new map with the track data?
- Depends on how you define 'new map' and how much work you want to do.
Quote... send a friend a transparent map of the tracks to add to his GPS, is that possible with the tracks I make?
- Yes.
QuoteI hope this isn't a dumb question.
- Only the ones not asked are.

astainback

Thanks for the response!!
I am hoping that it arrives today.
I already have some waypoints that I made on google earth that I am going to put in the garmin when it gets here to see how accurate my points on google earth are.
I already think I am going to need to get a second gps for the car. 
I see this as being a fun hobby!!
I also want to try geocaching.
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

astainback

Somebody was nice enough to send me tracks of some trails that I want to try out.
The problem is, I wanted to view them in Google Earth, but it won't let me.
The file he sent is not compatible with Google Earth, but is for MapSource.  I opened them in MapSource and saved them as the gps transfer type ( if I am remembering correctly ) and saved them.
When trying to open with Google Earth, MapSource crashes??  Why does MapSource crash when google earth is where I am trying to open the file?  I don't have the file open in MapSource?
Is this the best way to do what i am trying to do?

Thanks,
Adrian
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

margo

I dont' know if this will be of help to you but I like to make maps like you described as well. I got the vista because it will hold more tracks for my "map" making.

I print out my tracks superimposed on a satilite image. I do this by saving each "track". Then I use easy gps (you can use mapsource too I believe) and save that file. You can add to each file you save, that will enable you to make a map with more tracks than your gps can hold at one time.

For instance, I save a series of tracks on one day, title them something like "huntcluboctober". Then if I have new tracks, I can open that file and make it recieve from gps, so all the tracks are on one file.

The I go into gpsvisualization and select that file. It will "make a map" based on those tracks and waypoints.

When I get home I will post what my maps look like. Not sure if this is what you are doing

eta: I forgot to add the link for gpsvisualization. http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input

It's a pretty neat website, I have never had it not work and you don't have to have a program on your computer. I use windows snipit to save images from it. You can also choose between many differant kinds of maps. You kind of have to play with the settings but it's pretty easy to figure out.

margo

Here is an example of a map I printed out that was made using gpsvisualization. It's good for discussing things with fellow hunters in the club, most of them dont' have a gps and the club has no maps yet. I have a few with much less detail for those that do not need to know where a buck was jumped.  ;)

You can zoom and move it all around in gpsvisualizer, if you want to show someone something on your computer. I do not know of a way to save it though. I have google earth on my computer and also look at my tracks on that. I use mapsource, then go to "view in google earth" to get it. Those maps don't look as good printed though.

You can also save your tracks as a file, then a friend with a gps can send it to their gps and also have those same tracks.

I have found it helpful to have a paper copy when I am out, sometimes it's easier to glance at that rather than zoom my gps. It's also good for when someone thinks they are either lost, or not lost, as the case may be.

hntr

Quote from: astainback on August 11, 2009, 07:26:09 AM
Somebody was nice enough to send me tracks of some trails that I want to try out.
The problem is, I wanted to view them in Google Earth, but it won't let me.
The file he sent is not compatible with Google Earth, but is for MapSource.  I opened them in MapSource and saved them as the gps transfer type ( if I am remembering correctly ) and saved them.
When trying to open with Google Earth, MapSource crashes??  Why does MapSource crash when google earth is where I am trying to open the file?  I don't have the file open in MapSource?
Is this the best way to do what i am trying to do?

Yes, if it opens in MapSource, you should be able to save as a GPX file.  Just make sure you don't have maps selected from TopoUSA or something like that.  When you save, you should only have those tracks you are talking about under the 'Tracks' tab. 

Open GE and then open the GPX file

alpine

Mapscource will also crash when you try to save a track as a route.

So when I want to save a track, or part of a track as a route, I convert it in GPSBabel.

Works perfect.