News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSMAP 66st not accepting maps

Started by psndn, January 21, 2019, 09:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psndn

Friends,

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 66st that will not download the Idaho or Montana maps.  I have updated software on both ends and I contacted Garmin for help...they were successful on their end so they suggested I reach out for assistance here.

When I select map installation within Basecamp, the program recognizes both maps that I downloaded from here and confirms I have enough space.  I select full download from the advanced/partial tab and download to the 66st.  It completes the download within a second.  When I look in Basecamp and the 66st the maps are not there.  When I try to reinstall, Basecamp recognizes partial downloads of each file, but continues to have the same problem.

Any thoughts?  Advice?  Thanks!

Boyd

Garmin updated Basecamp/MapInstall last May and the current version does not work properly. It will not install third party maps - this is a common problem and there are many threads here on the topic. The unbelievable part is that Garmin discontinued Basecamp development immediately after releasing this broken version, so they are not going to fix the problem.

See this thread for more information and possible solutions

https://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=4539.0

CWill

Quote from: Boyd on January 21, 2019, 09:09:41 AM
The unbelievable part is that Garmin discontinued Basecamp development immediately after releasing this broken version, so they are not going to fix the problem.

Yes it is annoying to keep having to dismiss the nag popup to avoid updating to the latest version.  But I have not yet found a way to disable that?

The following is sort of an "unbelievable part" also.  Probably Garmin support was trying using one of their maps that will load.  But, I have read Garmin statements on some of their support pages that they will always allow loading of 3rd party maps so you would think they would at least fix this bug as one last gesture to Basecamp users.  I suppose it is possible that Garmin support pays so little attention to their user's call in problems, and forums like this one, that they truly don't know the latest Basecamp version is broken?  Unlikely though.

Quote from: psndn on January 21, 2019, 09:04:19 AM
I contacted Garmin for help...they were successful on their end so they suggested I reach out for assistance here.

Boyd

Quote from: CWill on January 22, 2019, 10:26:04 AMyou would think they would at least fix this bug as one last gesture to Basecamp users.

I think Garmin made a very different last "gesture" to Basecamp users. :-\

Red90

Just use Mapsource for loading maps. It is better for that purpose. Mapinstall was always crap.