GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Oergon 450t and Expert GPS

Started by mikeexplorer, September 23, 2018, 04:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeexplorer

I have been using a Garmin Oergon 450t along with ExpertGPS for years with good results. I like to load custom maps into the unit depending on my needs. I either use historical USGS maps or ATV trail maps.

The Oergon is getting old, the back lighting now has a lot of dark lines in it so I will be needing to replace the unit soon. Some of the topics I read is the newer Garmin units apparently make it harder to use custom maps, trying to force you to use their software instead of third party. What would be a good suggestion for a replacement unit?

I also looked at other topics concerning ExpertGPS, but the topics are several years old. Some of the issues discussed must have been fixed over the years, such as drawing tracks with branches. This is the main software I use with the GPS unit.

Mike

Boyd

Quote from: mikeexplorer on September 23, 2018, 04:01:45 AMI read is the newer Garmin units apparently make it harder to use custom maps, trying to force you to use their software instead of third party.

Don't know what you're talking about here. The only issue I know of relates to a bug in the current version of BaseCamp/MapInstall. It cannot install maps on any Garmin GPS. This has nothing to do with "newer Garmin units". It's just a bug in Garmin's computer software. The solution is simple, just downgrade to the old version that doesn't have the bug.

When you say "custom maps", exactly what do you mean? This is what Garmin calls "custom maps" - https://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps

They are .kmz files containing raster imagery, such as scanned topo maps or aerial photos. Unfortunately gpsfiledepot calls any map that Garmin doesn't make a "custom map", and that creates a lot of confusion.

Garmin has limited their custom map format such that you can only load a very small area. On  most devices, such as your Oregon, you can only install 100 custom map tiles and each tile can only be 1024x1024 pixels. There are a few Garmin devices that allow you to install 500 map tiles however. These include the GPSMap 64, Montana series, Alpha 100, the Monterra and the Oregon 600. So if you want to use "custom maps" as per Garmin's definition, you may want to get one of these devices. Garmin just announced the GPSMap 66 series but I don't know what it's capabilities are.

I still have a Montana 600, which I like, but the cover has broken off the power button. At this point, I don't see any Garmin handheld devices that I would buy. They are looking very out-of-date and over-priced compared to modern smartphones.

Sorry, don't know anything about ExperGPS.