Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Access to and capture NMEA sentences

Started by deantop, June 24, 2018, 01:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deantop

Hello friends,
I have a Montana 680 GPS device and it has the NMEA IN/OUT option. I do not how
the option works. Does anyone know how I can access to and capture the NMEA sentences
through Visual Basic codes for more processing through USB port?

Thank you for your help.

gnappi

I wrote a plain English NMEA decoder (listener / snoop / read only) in VB a long time ago, and I dug around and found an archived backup copy. I have no idea what development stage it was in as I stopped writing VB on that job many years ago so I cannot load it to say what stage it was in, early (beta) or release.

IIRC, it read all MNEA strings from ALL NMEA talkers (wind, depth, GPS etc.) and vendor specific strings it just strips the sentence and displays only the header (and maybe what the header means in plain English depending on version) if this is any use to you.

If you would like a copy of the project PM me with an address and I'll send you a CD with the project files, it will shorten your coding / learning curve time by quite a bit.

Bear in mind you may need an RS422 to RS-232 converter, and have a 9 pin serial port on your PC but if I still have one and can dig one of my old ones out I'll send it along also. There may also be an inexpensive NMEA to USB converter out there too.

Oh, you're also need a current copy of NMEA 2000 and 0183 strings (of which the latter mine was written to) which are (or were) very hard to come by unless you are a developer with NMEA, or whatever SIG has ownership as I have no idea who controls the standards nowadays.

0183 NMEA strings can be found here:

http://www.catb.org/gpsd/NMEA.html

Note, this is not an open invite to supply the code to everyone who asks, just the user deantop on this forum, if he / she elects to continue this forwarding gesture they are welcome to do that.

Regards,

Gary