GPSFileDepot.com

Can I load a Garmin Hunt View map on BaseCamp without connecting the GPS?

Started by Bob W, August 19, 2017, 07:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob W

I would like to use Base Camp while having my Hunt View map installed in it.,and NOT having to connect my Garmin eTrex 30x to it.

Is that possible??

Thanks,

Bob W

Boyd

Never used a Hunt View map so I don't know if there's something special about them. However with other Garmin maps, you can copy the entire contents of your GPS to a USB flash drive. If that flash drive is plugged into your computer, Basecamp will treat it exactly the same as if your eTrex was connected.

There are a few other related techniques, for example, on the Macintosh you can use Disk Utility to create a disk image of your eTrex. You can then just mount the image and Basecamp will treat it the same as your eTrex.

Windows does not have a built-in capability for this (AFAIK) but here is a solution: http://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html

Unfortunately there is no way to install that map permanently on your computer in the same fashion as a GPSFileDepot map, for example. Garmin used this system for many years when they distributed maps on CD's and DVD's but they no longer support it and have stopped selling maps on disk. The only case where you can permanently install a Garmin map on your computer (AFAIK) is the Lifetime City Navigator map that is pre-installed on their automotive devices. Garmin has an option to download those to your computer if you want.

capun1950

What files are needed in the USB Drive. My 62s has a memory card installed and Windows 7 Explorer sees it as 2 drives, the Garmin 62s and the add-on memory card

Boyd

Copy all the files from the internal storage to the USB flash drive. Then look at the contents of the SD card. Most likely, it will only contain a folder named "Garmin" with some .img files inside. Copy these files to the Garmin folder on the USB flash drive. If there are any other files on the SD card, copy them to the same folders on the USB drive (such as the GPX folder for example). On Garmin devices, the SD card just duplicates the file structure of the internal memory.

Now it's possible that there could be a file named gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder on the GPS and another gmapsupp.img file in the Garmin folder on the SD card. If that's the case, simply rename one of the files so there's no conflict (for example: gmapsupp2.img). It might also be necessary to do this with copy protection files, such as gmapsupp.unl or gmapsupp.gma.