GPSFileDepot.com

Should I buy the Oregon 550 and buy the Topo US 100k or the 550t

Started by sonnekboom, August 04, 2009, 07:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnekboom

Amazon currently has the Garmin Oregon 550 priced at $464 and the 550t at $599.  I can get the Garmin MapSource Topo US 100k DVD from gpsnow.com for $89.95.  Should I buy the 550 and the US 100K dvd instead of the 550t?  Would it be easier to plot on my computer and upload to the 550?  Can I load the entire map dvd onto the 550, so that it would essentially be a 550t?  If that's the case is there any reason to buy the 550t, instead of the 550?  Thanks in advance for any advice on this!

Boyd

The maps will be the same on either the DVD or pre-loaded version, but the file format is different. Garmin used large map segments on the pre-loaded version which enables the entire US to be resident. You will reach the segment limit with the DVD version, even if you have a large enough card to store the whole file. I don't know why they won't fix this, possibly as a marketing thing?

They recently made changes to the Oregon software which allow you to name map files anything you want but simply give them a .img extension. This should help a lot, but (as I understand it) still won't help with the segment issue. The segment limit evidently applies to ALL the maps you have loaded on the GPS in total, not "per file."

As for what to buy.... depends on your budget and needs. As you point out, you need the DVD version if you want the maps on your computer. If you don't feel you need the whole US available all the time on the GPS then the 550 sounds like a good deal.

sonnekboom

Thanks Boyd!

If I buy the SD Card, then I assume I would be able to have the entire US to be resident?

If so, this would still be cheaper than buying the 550t.

sonnekboom

To be more clear, I'm saying if I bought the Garmin preloaded SD card vs the DVD, would I be able to have the entire US resident?  If so, that seems odd that you has that capability on the SD, but not uploading from your computer using the DVD.  It does seem like Garmin is trying to wring extra dollars from you...

Indrid Cold

Quote from: sonnekboom on August 05, 2009, 01:13:17 PM
Thanks Boyd!

If I buy the SD Card, then I assume I would be able to have the entire US to be resident?

If so, this would still be cheaper than buying the 550t.
I think you mean the sd cards. The set isn't available on one card. This will cost considerably more, the card are for folks who insist on not owning a computer.

Boyd

Yeah, unless they have changed things you can't get the full US on a pre-loaded data card. Last time I checked, it would have cost about $1,000 to get the full US on data cards!  >:(

Also, the data cards have the same issue as the pre-loaded maps - they only work on the unit itself and can't be used on your computer.