Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forums Search:  

Author Topic: MapInstall 4.2 (May 2018 update) won't install third party maps  (Read 12525 times)

jolly47roger

• Mapper
    • View Profile
Re: MapInstall 4.2 (May 2018 update) won't install third party maps
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 11:32:24 PM »
I'm trying to analyse exactly what is happening.

As I understand it, Registry-based maps show correctly in Basecamp but lose detail when installed on the device.

Garmin provide a converter to make GMAP from Registry-based files - and JaVaWa offer one too (which works for me).

If Basecamp installs GMAP files correctly then the conversion is a simple way to get round this issue. Or am I missing something?

Boyd

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 03:36:17 AM »
I think that is right, but am not interested in testing Garmin's broken software so I don't know for sure. And it's expecting a lot for a user to figure that out.

But - regardless - this problem has existed for a year now, and there is no mention of it here at GPSFileDepot, except from users like us who discuss it in the forum. So, somebody comes here, downloads a map, follows all the instructions, and then it doesn't work. Not a very good user experience IMO....

yogazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2019, 01:36:42 AM »
I just updated/uploaded the 2019 version of my Montana topo maps as a (zipped) compiled .img file with the MS version set to "0" in the header. This way the user can get the maps loaded onto their device/card AND view them in BaseCamp. I put a text instruction file in the zip folder.

What's wrong with this approach? Why would anyone feel the desire to use clunky BaseCamp to transfer the maps to their device? I just market it as a "better" way to download and install maps (drag-n-drop map files), cutting out the broken, tedious software middleman. Dragging and dropping a map file onto an SD card is easier for luddites than installing through BaseCamp anyway.

Boyd

• Expert Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2019, 02:05:23 AM »
I agree. The main attraction of using Mapsource/MapInstall is that you can choose the exact portion of the map you want to send to the device. This was important when GPS units had small amounts of memory. Today.... not so much.

By "MS version set to 0", do you mean that this enables the map to be seen in Basecamp when the GPS (or a flash drive) is connected to the computer? I think that is rather limiting, I prefer to have the map permanently installed so that it can be accessed all the time in both Mapsource and Basecamp. So I provide both options with my own maps.

yogazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2019, 10:51:35 AM »
Yeah, setting the MS version to “0” allows BaseCamp to read the map files from the GPS. The process takes a while since Garmin has never really gotten the USB transfer protocols right.

You’re right, it does limit the user to some degree. Thanks to you and a map user who was having trouble waiting for the map files to transfer into BaseCamp via the GPS, I’ve decided to offer installers (with the “wow6432node” removed from the registry values) so users don’t have to go through the pain of connecting the device to their computers. I’ll provide a strong disclaimer not to use the installed version to transfer maps to the device. I want those who use my maps to have as pleasant experience as possible given the circumstances Garmin forces developers to deal with. I don’t spend weeks and weeks updating and tweaking my maps each year just to have users frustrated with their functionality.

Best regards

anything