GPSFileDepot.com

New Garmin 64s new basecamp WV Hatfield McCoy

Started by Stang65fst, May 29, 2018, 04:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stang65fst

I downloaded the the Hatfield McCoy trails that Bob put together, thank you Bob. It shows up in basecamp, I put a few waypoints in as well in basecamp. However on the 64 I can see the waypoints but I cannot see the trails map. Even when I pan, zoom and disable every map but the HM trail map I see nothing on the 64.

I would appreciate some suggestions as I clearly did not do something right.  :o

Boyd

If you created waypoints, that has absolutely nothing to do with a map. Waypoints are stored in a separate .gpx file and will work fine with no map at all.

No idea if this is related, but here's another thread that says the newest version of MapInstall does not work properly: https://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=4534.0

You could try installing with MapSource, Garmin's old PC software: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Stang65fst

Interesting about the waypoints thanks for that info.

Putting in the old program do I need delete the new basecamp software?

Boyd

No, you don't need to do anything to Basecamp, they both work together. Mapsource will list all the same maps that you installed in Basecamp. See this: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#mapsource

Stang65fst

Thanks Boyd for the help it appears I now have trail maps on my GPS!!!!

Stang65fst

Okay Boyd, I put in a 32g fat32 card I had around. How do I load individual maps so that I can enable/disable specific maps. It appears right now it loads it all as one big file not as individual map/file.

Boyd

Older Garmin devices (such as the GPSMap 60csx) only recognized one map file that was named gmapsupp.img. Since Mapsource is old, it always names the map file gmapsupp.img. Garmin had an older system of encapsulating multiple maps into a single gmapsupp.img file and while this is still supposed to work with never devices, I have had problems with it.

So the best solution for a newer device like yours is to put each map in a separate file. The work-around for this is to send your first map to the GPS, then manually change the file name to something else. So, for example, change gmapsupp.img to topo1.img. Now go back to mapsource and send another map and change its name to topo2.img. Just continue this process until all your maps have been sent.

You can use any filenames you want, but the point is that you can't leave the original gmapsupp.img file because when you send another map it will simply replace it with a new gmapsupp.img file.

Now MapInstall is more modern software and if it detects you are using a newer device, it will automatically create separate .img files with different names. But unfortunately, the newest version seems to be broken.  :o

Stang65fst

I obviously am not doing something correct. I am I changing the file name on the 64 or on the computer. I tried to change it on the 64 and once again it just loaded another map right over it. Again I am sure that I am doing something wrong.

Boyd

1. Use the Map tool to select all or part of the map that you want to send

2. Use Transfer > Send to Device

3. Using Windows Explorer, open the folder on the GPS named Garmin.

4. There should be a file named gmapsupp.img. This is the map that you just sent.

5. Change the name of this file to anything you want, but keep the .img extension. For example, Hatfield.img

6. Repeat steps 1 through 5 for each map that you want to send, giving each file a unique name.

Stang65fst

Clearly I am ignorant, thought that is what I did but I didn't. Feel like an idiot.  :-X Worked just like you said. Thank you again.

Boyd

Nice!  8)

BTW, the file name is probably not the name you will see on the GPS. In the left pane of mapsource, under all the individual tiles you have selected, there's a button you can click to change the mapset name. This doesn't change the filename but it changes the name you see in the map list on the GPS.