GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MapInstall - Unable to Select Tiles

Started by Richard_S, April 18, 2018, 05:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard_S

In the past when I worked with maps I was able to create .mp tiles, convert them to .img, compile them with MapsetToolkit, install them on my computer and use BaseCamp / MapInstall to select tiles to upload to my GPS (GPSmap 60CSx).

I must be doing something dumb now because I cannot get the MapInstall selection to work on a new map (verified on a second computer).  Selection and upload works on an old map and on maps freshly downloaded and installed from gpsfiledepot.  What I have done for this post is to create two very simple map segments to try to reduce the problem to very simple diagnostics (simple, but apparently beyond me).

I am hoping that someone with curiosity and time will look at what I have done (see the explanation in the attachments) and give me some pointers that might help.

I have tried many things (such as looking at levels, draw priorities, etc.) as well as numerous internet searches with out success.

Boyd

Clearly you did something wrong, I assume it was in MapSetToolkit. I ran your installer (BTW, Trend Micro said it was "suspicious", could be ransomware, etc.). I saw the same behavior you described, could not select the segments.

So I ran MapsetToolkit myself on the folder with the .img files and got a map with two segments that I could select.

Richard_S

Thank you for the quick reply.

I tried MapsetToolkit again, setting the draw priority to 20, no to "Transparent" and checking the boxes for "Install in Mapsource" and "Blank overview map" (same as you).

Unfortunately, I get the same result - cannot select the tiles.

However, you seem to have confirmed that the problem lies in my copies of MapsetToolkit BaseCamp, or something specific to my PC, not what I am doing creating the individual tiles.  I think I will try fresh program downloads on a different computer tomorrow...

Richard_S

I think this is SOLVED, thanks in a large part to the willingness of Boyd to execute a .exe file from an unknown person, spend some time playing with the contents and letting me know that a fresh compile worked on his computer.

THE PROBLEM:

MapsetToolKit v1.77 created the TestMap.mp file using a map tile number of "7" for both sample tiles, rather than the tile numbers 38104001 and 38104002.

WORKAROUND #1

Don't us a directory structure pointing to the .img files that contains a back slash ("\") followed by a number (might work) and definitely not a number and a period (".").  My directory structure to the .img files was:

"G:\Garmin Maps\Test 1\7.0 Final Files\2.0 IMG Files

...oops, I think I know where the 7 was found.  When I used a second computer and a directory for the .img files without the numbers I was able to get a working map selection.

WORKAROUND #2

Use a substituted drive for the directory path.  When I used the DOS command:

"subst r: "G:\Garmin Maps\Test 1\7.0 Final Files\2.0 IMG Files"

and used drive "R:" as the source of the image files for MapsetToolkit, it also worked.

DISCUSSION

MapsetToolkit did not have a problem with numbers in the path for copying the .img files or for the Mapset directory.  I suspect that these are used in what is equivalent to direct DOS commands without any modification to the text.

My guess is that when the <selectible map image>.mp (i.e. my TestMap.mp) was created as a text file, the tile numbers were found by parsing the individual .img files.  The parsing was probably done left-to-right, looking for a backslash, followed by a number.  A right-to-left parsing, throwing out the ".img" and backing up to the backslash, would probably have worked for my situations.

Boyd

Glad you got it working. I didn't catch that because it would never occur to me to use dots, slashes or whitespace in a file or directory name!  ;) But I go WAY back to the era of command line interfaces (and even punch cards, LOL). So I wouldn't call your solution a "work around", I'd just call it "good practice". :)

I don't think digits are a problem with pathnames, I have always used them in directory names so I have an easy reference for the FID. For example, these work fine for me

...\boydmapNJ2018\FID_62399
...\boydmapVIS\FID_62532

BTW, are you still using Windows XP? If I knew that you were, I wouldn't have opened those files, LOL.  ;D

Richard_S

Windows 7, not XP.  I also grew up old school using command lines, punch tape, punch cards and program output only able to be sent to printers.

You ever work with a GE-4020?  They had a whole 8k of ram and were about the size of a chest freezer.

www <dot> computerhistory <dot> org /collections/catalog/102640390

Boyd

No, learned ALGOL on a Burroughs B-5500, FORTRAN on a IBM System 360 and BSD unix on a DEC VAX 11/750. The VAX was the smallest of these, a "mini-computer" with a CPU the size of a washing machine and a few disk drives that were just about as big.  ;D

I was on a committee that picked a replacement for that machine around 1983 and we chose a couple SUN workstations that were much faster, with much more memory and disk, and sat on a table top.  :D