GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Downloaded several maps.... Now what?

Started by XiBowhunter, April 16, 2018, 12:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XiBowhunter

It has been several years since I downloaded maps for my Garmin Dakota 20.  I have forgotten the process of getting maps onto my GPS Unit.

All the files I downloaded are in a .exe format.  What do I do with them after I download them?

I open up basecamp, and when mapinstall opens, it says there are no unlocked maps on this device.

I am missing a simple step, I'm sure of it, but what is that step?

Can I install the maps to a SD card prior to installing it in the GPS?

And how do I get all my saved waypoints from my Garmin Dakota to my Touch 25?

XiBowhunter

I think I figured it out, but now I have a new problem.

I am trying to install MY POI map onto my SD card, it says it is only 10mb, and my card is 16GB.  It says to select fewer maps and try again.  What could the problem be there?

I also still need to know how to transfer waypoints from my Dakota to my Touch 25 please.

Boyd

What software is giving you this error message? MapInstall? In Mapsource (Garmin's older software) a similar message often results when the mapmaker makes some changes but doesn't properly update the whole mapset. If that's the problem, it would be difficult for you to fix iyourself.

But are you sure that you are actually trying to send the map to the card and not to the GPS internal memory?

To transfer waypoints, connect your Dakota and open Basecamp. Make a new list and drag all the waypoints to it. Then connect your eTrex and drag the contents of the list to it.

Alternately, use Mapsource and Transfer > Receive from Device with the Dakota connected. Then connect the eTrex and use Transfer > Send to Device.

XiBowhunter

Quote from: Boyd on April 16, 2018, 01:13:13 PM
What software is giving you this error message? MapInstall? In Mapsource (Garmin's older software) a similar message often results when the mapmaker makes some changes but doesn't properly update the whole mapset. If that's the problem, it would be difficult for you to fix iyourself.

But are you sure that you are actually trying to send the map to the card and not to the GPS internal memory?

To transfer waypoints, connect your Dakota and open Basecamp. Make a new list and drag all the waypoints to it. Then connect your eTrex and drag the contents of the list to it.

Alternately, use Mapsource and Transfer > Receive from Device with the Dakota connected. Then connect the eTrex and use Transfer > Send to Device.

I am using mapinstall when I get the error that the 10mb file won't fit on the 14.6GB of space I have left.

I don't have the GPS with me, just the card inserted in the computer, so I know it isn't trying to send it to the GPS.

Boyd

Sounds like the problem I described above. It would not be the first time that a map on this site had this issue. Can you install other maps on that card OK? You could try sending a PM to the map author.