GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Need Your Help Keeping a Map Alive

Started by iceblade122, April 13, 2018, 12:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceblade122

The Canada Ibycus Topo Map is on the verge of becoming inaccessible.  As far as I know I am now the only person seeding this file.  It can be found on gpsfile depot in the Custom Maps section by searching for Canada but the author doesn't host it anymore.  It's only accessible via torrent.

I'm asking that the community help seed it to keep it active and accessible.  I'm currently hosting it and able to sustain 2mb/s upload speeds.  I won't post the link because it's pirate bay but it can be found on Pirate Bay by searching ibycus*  (with the asterisk)  It's the 4.0 version.  3.78gb filesize. 

It's a very useful resource, lets keep it alive!  Thank you!

Boyd

Why doesn't the author just upload the map to GPSFileDepot? What am I missing here?

iceblade122

File size limit maybe?  It's 6 years old so maybe the hosting rules were different then.  Maybe he wants people to contact him so he can keep making $25 mailing people DVD's.  No clue.  Just thought I'd try and keep the free resource alive.  Only decent Canada-wide topo map I found.

Boyd

Quote from: iceblade122 on April 14, 2018, 11:36:22 AMMaybe he wants people to contact him so he can keep making $25 mailing people DVD's.

If so, then it's certainly his right. IMO, the appropriate thing would be to contact him about this instead of doing something behind his back. His contact info is on his site: http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

If there's some issue with uploading a file that big to gpsfiledepot, I'm sure he could work it out with Dan.

iceblade122

I'm not doing it behind his back.  It's HIS torrent and he links to it on his website.  Or he at least mentions it's available via torrent.  I could definitely try contacting him I suppose.

Boyd

I sent a note to Dan (the site admin) about this so maybe he will respond. However, here is what the license agreement at ibycus.com says. So it would appear that you (or anyone) could upload the map to gpsfiledepot as long as it's clear who the author is.

"You may not redistribute any of the maps here for commercial purposes. You may make copies, and give them away, but under no circumstances may you sell them, or repackage them and claim them as your own work"

iceblade122

Awesome!  Thanks, man.  I can definitely upload it if that's the case.