GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPS 64S sd card access

Started by papa-alpha, May 14, 2018, 10:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papa-alpha

I used the tutorial to load the California topos on an SD card (formatted FAT32) and all seemed to go well. The files loaded and the file structure on the card looks like this:

GARMIN
    gmapsupp.img  (425,912 KB)
id.txt

I put the card into the GPS and go to 'Setup-Map-Select Map'  there is nothing showing but the original supplied maps. What am I missing?

The SD card is a SanDisk Ultra 32GB HC

Thanks in advance for help.

Red90

Is the map in the garmin directory?

papa-alpha

Yes, the card has one directory on it named 'Garmin' and within the Garmin directory, the file, gmpsupp.img

Red90

Either the map is not compiled in the proper format or the card is is not properly seated.

Put a gpx file on the card with some waypoints under garmin/gpx directory to test of the card is working.

papa-alpha

Thanks Red90. That makes sense. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Boyd

Is this the only map on the card? Are there other maps installed in the gps internal memory? Your gps has a limitation as to how much map data it can handle, although this is not widely known. Maps consist of many small tiles or "segments". Your GPSMap64 can only access 3,000 of these segments. If you exceed this limit, some maps or portions of maps will not be available so this could cause what you describe even if everything else is OK.

You can check how many segments are installed on the GPS with this useful free program: http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

If you have too many, the only solution is to remove some maps. Also note that a 32gb SD card is much larger than you will ever need. You will likely hit the segment limit of your GPS long before 32gb of maps.