GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MARINE DATA FOR WEST COAST OF FLORIDA

Started by Doug, August 03, 2009, 12:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

I downloaded the West coast of Florida from the TOPO maps, but it does not include any marine data (day marks, bouys, etc.) Is there anyplace I can download this type info to my Garmin 76C?

Thanks,
Doug,
St Petersburg

Indrid Cold

-Oz-

There is only a few areas where marine data is included.  The exact areas are mentioned on the topo page.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

Marine (or air) safety data would require updating on a weekly basis and would be very time consuming repatitive task.  You really would not want to depend on months or year old data.

Doug

I'm sorry, but I do not buy that. The marine map data that is on my Garmin 3210 is at least a couple of years old. Some of the paper charts I have were surveyed as early as the 1940's, and that is the latest version available.

The changes in navagation markers does not change that often. I agree one should also consult the latest notice to mariners, but not to make data available just because it may be somewhat out of date is not a viable reason. Even if I wanted to buy updated marine charts every few months, they would not be available, as that data is usually updated on a yearly basis. To me, having marine navagational charts that are even 5 years old is much better than having no charts at all.

maps4gps

QuoteI'm sorry, but I do not buy that.
Garmin does sell a marine mapset - BlueChart.

Quote... not to make data available just because it may be somewhat out of date is not a viable reason.
More likely the situation was that the mapauthor found some data and included it as an extra bonus for the area he obtained it for; perhaps to see what the user response would be.  To make a good/usable mapset with marine data would probably take someone with a good knowledge of what was required/important in marine navigation.  Would you like to take on that task; perhaps as an overlay mapset? 

QuoteTo me, having marine navagational charts that are even 5 years old is much better than having no charts at all.
Do you have Garmin's BlueChart mapset?

Indrid Cold

There's a lot of work needed to format the data for a Garmin 76C and so far, not a lot of interest.

-Oz-

Quote from: maps4gps on August 12, 2009, 07:20:33 AM
Quote... not to make data available just because it may be somewhat out of date is not a viable reason.
More likely the situation was that the mapauthor found some data and included it as an extra bonus for the area he obtained it for; perhaps to see what the user response would be.  To make a good/usable mapset with marine data would probably take someone with a good knowledge of what was required/important in marine navigation.  Would you like to take on that task; perhaps as an overlay mapset?
This is exactly the reason; i included what I could find.  If you have a source for the other that is easy to include then I will include it when i get back to the USA.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!