GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

can get maps to display on 64s

Started by bjcas, January 08, 2018, 06:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjcas

i upgraded to a 64s this year from a 60csx, i had no problems with mapping on the Garmin software  and getting it to work on the 60.

with base camp, i have sent the custom map to the sd chip for storage on the unit, it wont display.

if i send the same map to the unit internal memory, it works. do i have to activate the sd chip??  the laptop recognizes it in the unit as a storage device.

do I have to have certain folder names on the chip so the unit looks for it??

thanks in advance for the help

Red90

My guess is that the SD card is formatted wrong.  The computer will read it, but the GPS cannot.

The SD card needs to be formatted in FAT32 in order for the GPS to read it.  I suspect it is exFAT or NTFS.

The maps need to be in the Garmin folder.

Boyd

What size card are you using? You must format the card as FAT32 or it won't be compatible with any Garmin GPS. That should be the default "out of the box" formatting for cards 32gb and smaller. But FAT32 doesn't support 64gb cards (although I gather there is a hack). There is really no reason to use a card larger than. 16gb in Garmin GPS. You will hit another limit to the GPS map compatibility (the segment limit) long before you load 16gb of maps.

Maps need to be in the folder named Garmin and can have any name as long as they have an .img file extension. The 60csx is different, it will only recognize one map file that must be named gmapsupp.img.

Newer Garmin devices can use multiple map files. To load multiple maps on your 60csx, you had to include them all in a single gmapsupp.img file. Theoretically these files should still work on your 64s, but I have found there can be problems with this old system on newer devices so it's best to put each map in a separate file.

bjcas

I think I got a 64 because it was on clearance ...super cheap at best buy.  I will get a smaller card and try.

thanks

Red90

You can use the 64 GB card.  You just need a 3rd party program to format it to FAT32.  Google it and you will see many tutorials.

bjcas

I found a sale card for $13.  I put it in and it works. thanks all for the help.

PS..I did ask Garmin the same question last week....no response yet...

Boyd

If you are trying to use a map from here or another third party source, Garmin won't help you. They typically just say they don't support third party maps. ;)

Glad you got it working!