GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Loading Maps on Garmin HCx

Started by Etrex Vista, August 01, 2009, 08:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etrex Vista

I just got a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx and have been messing around with maps off this website.  So i downloaded a wisconsin topo and wisconsin snowmobile trail maps.  I put the wisconsin topo on and i liked it so i added the snowmobile trail maps on and it deleted my wisconsin topo map.  Is there a way i can save both of them on the card and just switch between them instead of putting them back on everytime i want to use them?  Thanks

Indrid Cold

That's pretty much how it works all right.

Follow the tutorial here:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

You use the map setup on the unit to select which map to display.

Etrex Vista

Ok, i got that figured out.  But now there is like a 120 different maps for wisconsin how could i just put them all together so it shows up as one map and put the colorado one on there and keep that as a different map, and all the maps that come with that just one big map?

Thanks

maps4gps

Quote from: Etrex Vista on August 02, 2009, 07:10:23 AM
But now there is like a 120 different maps for wisconsin how could i just put them all together so it shows up as one map and put the colorado one on there and keep that as a different map, and all the maps that come with that just one big map?
Do you mean 'one map' in MapSource or on the GPSr?  They are one mapset composed of 120 quads/tiles.  In MapSource, after you selected the quads/tiles that you want from the first mapset (they will be listed in the box on the left side of MapSource), open the second mapset and select quads/tiles from it. They will be added to the list.  Same process for a 3rd and more mapsets.  Only one at a time can we displayed in Map Source.  When finished the entire list will be used to create a gmapsupp.img file which  will be sent to storage card; either directly in GPSr or with card in multicard reader (much faster).  This file needs to be recreated if you want to add more quads/tiles or remove any.   
    On the GPSr, all the quads/tiles in the gmapsupp.img file are listed and can be turned on and off seperately.  At the page which shows that list, press 'menu' to get a list of mapsets with options to 
hide/unhide by mapset(s) - ** your GPSr unit and/or software version may not support this **.
   Have I interpreted your question properly?

Indrid Cold

See post above... Your original example has 2 map products: "wisconsin topo and wisconsin snowmobile trail". Each map product is comprised of 1 or more map segments, and I believe that's what you are referring to when you are saying "120 maps", as listed in the Map Setup-Information dialog box on your GPS. As stated above, you can display or not any map segment from this window, or press the Menu button (left side, bottom button) and show or hide all of a Map Product. Your unit does support this (basically the same user interface as a GPSMAP 60CSx).