GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Oregon 450T....address issue (country?)

Started by budhisetiawan, December 05, 2017, 07:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budhisetiawan

NB here...but cant seem to find an answer to question...

Just got Garmin Oregon 450T...whenever I try to "Where to" using an address it asks me "country" only thing in there are European countries...

I am guessing cause it came with "Europe NT" as one of the maps. I have since installed others but it continues to ask me the same thing and only options are Europe..

Help?

TIA

Boyd

Not all maps contain the information needed to search for addresses and calculate routes. For example, almost none of the maps on this site can do routing. So it depends on exactly what maps you have. If the EU City Navigator map is the only routable one, then that will be all you can search for.

budhisetiawan

I downloaded one that said routeable......so it isn't?

popej

Map can be routable but still without search index. Which one have you installed?

Are you currently in Europe? Please make sure, that your current location as shown by GPS is inside area of the map, that you are testing. If necessary you can fake position - switch GPS into demo mode (system menu - GPS), move map view to map area, find a POI or mark a point there, click it, select form point menu "Go" and then "Move to location". This is a procedure form Dakota, I hope Oregon works similarly.

When on map area, try to search for address.

budhisetiawan

Pope

I just downloaded your maps...are they routeable? Says they are....I did south atlantic and south central.

popej

Yes, maps are routable and search for address should work.

budhisetiawan

I am trying to understand the install instructions sry...

"Unpack the map in a convenient place on HDD. For Windows Vista or newer to install click at batch "install_MAP.bat", where "MAP" is the name of downloaded region. Batch will create symbolic links from Garmin directory to the map. Installation process doesn't copy any files, program on PC will use your unpacked files."

I have a couple of questions...

1.Unpack means on my pc HDD? or the Garmin HDD?
2. I am totally lost with the "click at batch....download region"?

I'll stop there hoping if that is answered the rest will just happen...

TIA...so happy you responded!!!

popej

Well, it's not all automatic, but I offer the same download for Windows and Mac.

I assume that you are using Window 7 or newer. I hope that you have already installed 7-zip. If not, please download it and install, its site is here:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Using Windows Explorer, find downloaded map archive on your HDD and right-click on it. You should see pop-up menu, which include some commands added by 7-zip. Use 7-Zip -> Extract files. This will open a window with some options. Please select destination directory (folder) on your HDD, you can use button "[...]" next to field "Extract to". You can create new directory if necessary. Then click "OK" and archive should be unpacked to selected directory.

Next navigate with Windows Explorer to previously selected directory and enter a subdirectory with a name like the map. You should find there files named like "install_US_South_Atlantic_OSM_Topo.bat" or install_US_South_Central_OSM_Topo.bat, depending on a map. Extension ".bat" could be invisible, it depends on settings of Windows Explorer. Files should have description like "batch file" (I'm not sure, how it is presented in English version). Double click at this file to execute it and map should be installed for BaseCamp.

I hope you know BaseCamp, it is a free program from Garmin. BaseCamp can be downloaded from here:
http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

With BaseCamp you can browse map, design routes, collect POI etc. And you can install maps to your GPS. see this guide:
https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

budhisetiawan

I got you...

So maybe my understanding of routable is not what I mean it to mean...

Feeling like quoting a little princess bride "I don't think that word means what you think it means'..lol...anyway

Routable I thought meant from my GPS I could plot a course and hit go...something like that...in a nut shell hit "where to" "address" and bam..hit go or something...

Is that not what routable means...do you always have to do it thorugh basecamp?

popej

Routable means, that map supports routing. A suitable GPS can trace a path between 2 points, which uses roads from the map. When map is not routable, GPS will use straight lines instead (well, probably great circle path).

Address search is a separate functionality, where GPS can convert street address into geographic location.

While maps created by Garmin usually include both features, this is not necessary the case for free maps, where creators often lack mapping data or programs to create fully functional map.

BaseCamp is a convenient tool to manage maps. You can easy transfer maps from BaseCamp to GPS but there is no perfect way to do opposite - transfer maps from GPS to PC. People usually want to use maps on both devices, so  IMHO better to offer maps for BaseCamp than a file for GPS.